Sign in to follow this  
Mike B

3D Arching Exploration

Here are several figures I made today that show the Betts Strad's back arching. These were taken from a video of a CT scan. The plots are in units of "voxels" and I've not converted them to something useful just yet. A photo of the Betts violin's back is included for comparison.

1666535339_bettsback.JPG.07fcb0dc6e2689d7cf1d646b8d20cb49.JPG

Betts with Lighting.jpg

Betts Point Cloud 1.jpg

The first plot appears to my untrained eye to have a straight line from a point on the center line of the long arch just below the lower corners to a point near the start of the trough that is at the maximum distance from the start point.  Or is my imagination working overtime?  I believe that our famous French contributor shows that also.

As for CG visualization - i think what would be very useful as a study aid is the kind of techniques automotive designers use to study the curvature of class A surfaces. In the old days you'd need tools like Alias to do this but now you can do it in any number of tools like Fusion (Free) or Rhino. 

The real utility is that the images I provided can (and will) be 3D printed. This should be a useful study aid. In addition, corresponding arching templates can be machined, laser cut, or printed.

On 10/19/2020 at 12:36 PM, Roger Hill said:

The first plot appears to my untrained eye to have a straight line from a point on the center line of the long arch just below the lower corners to a point near the start of the trough that is at the maximum distance from the start point.  Or is my imagination working overtime?  I believe that our famous French contributor shows that also.

That is a deep scratch of memory serves

9 hours ago, Mike B said:

The real utility is that the images I provided can (and will) be 3D printed ...

I agree completely, but think there's a fair bit of value in an interactive 3D model - being able to interactively slice in x, y and z is something I find extremely useful. Have you looked at converting your Matlab-generated model to a web-friendly format, and getting it into the browser (and possibly sharing online)?