Sign in to follow this  
violinbridges

ViolinBridges Book Out Now

5 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

Maybe bridge cutting is also a fetish for some! There might be some interesting videos out there on the dark web.......:P

There's a dark web interest in violin bridges??? :o

I have to agree with @jacobsaunders on his idea that a book on old bridges would have been much more interesting. There is a sore lack of info available regarding the setup of early instruments. A rich catalogue of bridges from important centres of Instrument making, covering especially pre 20th century bridges is sorely needed. 

On your website, there is no info on thickness, tilt, and weight, which are very important factors for setup and the tonal character of a bridge. Are those included in the book?

these are old bridges and definately A rich catalogue of bridges from important centers of Instrument making ranging from 1780 to the present day

and yes on the website there are weights and measurements, you just need to login in to see them.

I see that Gerard will be busy planning a companion Volume! ^_^

Description:

Now that we know exactly what we are looking at, let's delve into the details of historical bridge engineering. 

2 minutes ago, Rue said:

Now that we know exactly what we are looking at, let's delve into the details of historical bridge engineering. 

I think the Romans had that worked out quite well :D

had a bit of time and managed to add weight based shipping to all areas which is much cheaper for multiple copies, and refunded a few people who overpaid.

Also added ups ground which is slower and much cheaper to the usa

@DonLeister I did think about this originally, not all of the bridges included had measurements taken at the time, and I wanted it to be consistent  and didnt want it to become too huge. So all measurements and weights are on the website.

5 hours ago, violinbridges said:

@DonLeister I did think about this originally, not all of the bridges included had measurements taken at the time, and I wanted it to be consistent  and didnt want it to become too huge. So all measurements and weights are on the website.

That's unfortunate.  Looks like I'll have to add a lot of footnotes to my copy.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:05 PM, violinbridges said:

The Morris & Smith Bridge is one of my favorites, perfect wood and beautifully cut and designed

Do you know who cut this one for them?

!!! I don't think I have ever received a book faster from anyone except Amazon's overnight shipping!

It's a lovely project and a fine book. I have always regretted that someday, eventually, the website would disappear and there'd be nothing left for anyone to see, but now I have the book!

13 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

!!! I don't think I have ever received a book faster from anyone except Amazon's overnight shipping!

It's a lovely project and a fine book. I have always regretted that someday, eventually, the website would disappear and there'd be nothing left for anyone to see, but now I have the book!

Many thanks Michael that means allot. The website needs a bit of tlc as getting a bit old now but will try and keep it up as long as I can.

Much respect

I just saw the daily email from International Violin... the book is offered at an introductory price of $9500!

Admittedly, I'm not very awake yet but it might be a slow-mover at that price. :D

25 minutes ago, violinbridges said:

wow, that allot of profit for them.

I am sure its a typo

Yup. The website link showed a decimal point ($95.00)