Sign in to follow this  
fragslap

No one seems to be paying much attention to Brompton's

It didn't immediately look reduced, but given that all 8 corners are replaced I think i must have been - probably the outer purfling rings was removed and used to make a new inner ring ...

Lovely job and a beautiful sounding violin - I think it went far too cheap. I was very tempted, but I fear these sorts of violins are just very difficult to sell.

The description of the lots were not consistent this time

There was a gold mounted bow titled “probably by” Kittel being changed to “ascribed to” few days ago

https://www.bromptons.co/auction/7th-18th-october-2020/lots/229-an-italian-violin-attributed-to-carlo-antonio-testore-milan-circa-1740.html

"Sold with the certificate of Dietmar Machold, Vienna 2008, attributing the violin to Carlo Antonio Testore".

Anybody want to pay £20,000 for Dietmar's autograph?  :huh: :lol:

11 hours ago, Kim852 said:

The description of the lots were not consistent this time

There was a gold mounted bow titled “probably by” Kittel being changed to “ascribed to” few days ago

I think Kittel is particularly problematic, regarding authenticity.

19 hours ago, martin swan said:

It didn't immediately look reduced, but given that all 8 corners are replaced I think i must have been - probably the outer purfling rings was removed and used to make a new inner ring ...

Lovely job and a beautiful sounding violin - I think it went far too cheap. I was very tempted, but I fear these sorts of violins are just very difficult to sell.

Those corners on the condition report were odd! That it was reduced does make sense as far as the dimensions  and outline compared to other Rogerinis. Interesting that Biddulph made no mention of it in his certificate. The ones I've seen have all been wonderful sounding, and I've been very tempted to go for one, but those nagging thoughts of "am I the only one that thinks it's worth this price?" and "will I ever be able to sell it?" keep haunting me.