Sign in to follow this  
jacobsaunders

Dominant Strings, 50th Birthday

On 10/16/2020 at 11:46 AM, jacobsaunders said:

The packed set normally comes with a “wound” E String, which is IMHO crap, one may ask for the “Plain” E, which is slightly better. Strangely, if one goes round and complains that dominant E’s are junk, they come out with a bewildering selection of E strings. I find the Gold plated ones ok, and the tin plated ones very good. https://www.thomastik-infeld.com/pageflips/catalog/64/ Quite why they make you jump through so many hoops seems strange, since one can buy, for instance a Gold Brokat (Lenzner) E String for next to nothing elsewhere and bin the Dominant E with much less time and effort.

so my supplier carries 4 versions of the Lenzner Gold Brokat ... standard steel, premium steel, premium brassed and 24Kt gold.   Which is the one generally recommended and which you buy in bulk?

http://counterpointmusic.ca/product-category/strings/violin-strings/optima-goldbrokat-violin-strings/

13 minutes ago, Mat Roop said:

so my supplier carries 4 versions of the Lenzner Gold Brokat ... standard steel, premium steel, premium brassed and 24Kt gold.   Which is the one generally recommended and which you buy in bulk?

http://counterpointmusic.ca/product-category/strings/violin-strings/optima-goldbrokat-violin-strings/

I always use the st­andard steel ones ( the one on the left in your link). When I first moved to the Vienna region in the 80’s, all the Russians, and Russian educated Viennese pestered me to stock them

Thank you for the comments on Dominant strings and especially the e string. 

4 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I always use the st­andard steel ones ( the one on the left in your link). When I first moved to the Vienna region in the 80’s, all the Russians, and Russian educated Viennese pestered me to stock them

This information is very helpful for me. Thanks again.

Thanks Jacob... I really appreciate your advice!

Another question... as I dig into it further I see there are 3 thicknesses available... .26   .27 & .28 mm...

Is there a tonal difference or is it mainly playing characteristics that differ with the diameter? Which one do you use & why?

Thanks, Mat

1 hour ago, Mat Roop said:

Thanks Jacob... I really appreciate your advice!

Another question... as I dig into it further I see there are 3 thicknesses available... .26   .27 & .28 mm...

Is there a tonal difference or is it mainly playing characteristics that differ with the diameter? Which one do you use & why?

Thanks, Mat

I have always used the 0,26 ones. I’m afraid I can’t adequately answer your question, since I have never tried any others

The 0.26 gauge is the medium. There’s a 0.25 light and a 0.27 heavy as well. I’ve never used the 0.25, but I sometimes use the 0.27 for players with a heavier bow arm or with higher tension sets. The heavy gauge E is a little bit darker in sound than the medium. 

Thanks everyone... I ordered a few of each version including the Gold .... looking forward to some exploration!... Cheers!... Mat

I've just installed Dominants (G, D, A) on my Italian (1800's) violin and gave them a run through - very nice tone throughout even though brand new - I've ordered a Jaygar e string but it hasn't arrived yet so I left my Chromecore e on and I believe it blends quite nicely with the Doms. In the posts here and elsewhere relating to replacing the Dom e with an e by another manufacturer, I never heard mention of the Chromecore e so I thought I'd throw this observation out there. 

So I posed my earlier question to Optima  with the following response.... cheers, Mat
Dear Mat,

well, the diameter has an effect for the tension and the flexibility of the strings.
So thinner strings are easier to play, but are a bit warmer and not so loud.
Thicker strings need a bit more power, but sound louder and more brilliant.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincerely
André Schneider
Vice President

On 10/17/2020 at 3:06 PM, Mat Roop said:

E-string tension can also noticeably modify the tone of the other strings as different tensions distribute the downward pressure of the bridge differently.

So Synoxa came after Tonica?

Long ago...

Anyway, I remember when I went with my boss in Düsseldorf to a conference by Pirastro. They explained the hazards of manufacturing gut strings and that it was done in a completely temperature and humidity controlled rooms. At the end the general manager had very aggressive words towards anyone who would try to sell their strings below their official catalogue price.  'I promise, we will sue anyone who tries to peddle (hausieren gehen) our strings.' 

And actually there seemed to have been cases in those days where dubious violin businesses made good money by selling pirastro for slightly less against cash and no receipt. 

Long ago...