Interesting Charles Brugere

5 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I think they say "Merde". One should more probably say "Scheiße"

haha... price is over 1K as we speak. Martin will be angry at me for posting an auction that hasn't finished. I figured nothing really valuable here...

This seems to be just another Ebay ID from the serial relabeller and faker also known as france 69, marsupilami, frcfra11 etc. Back in the good old days when feedback wasn't private you could work all his IDs by seeing who gave the best feedback :lol:

Not a Brugere, not even sure it's French.

I do in fact have a Brugere viola which i have just taken on consignment - I'll post some photos later today, I think the comparison should get a few laughs!

53 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Same seller has several "French" bows listed, none of which look French, but do look German.

None of this bows is German (if so, they would probably better). Most seem to be combinations of cheap Mirecourt fittings with Japanese sticks and ridiculous attributions.

Ok, the frog of the cello bow is German.-_-

1 minute ago, violinsRus said:

Martin, what are the body dims of that viola?  That is one gorgeous model, especially for a viola.  

Unfortunately it went out on approval today, but the back length was around 39.6. Yes it's a nice model - most French violas of this period seem to be based on the Archinto, with rather narrow upper bouts - this seems a bit more balanced.

I think that as with most French instruments, when you see the real thing you realize that many of these makers were re-working Mirecourt boxes. I've seen plenty of Brugeres than weren't of this quality ...

9 hours ago, martin swan said:

Just for interest's sake, here's a Charles Brugère from 1894

103406brugere-viola-front.thumb.jpg.b8912049ce4bacce8096dc98e61e22e5.jpg

103406brugere-viola-back.thumb.jpg.5697ec178187f75cd5702ae745709aa6.jpg

103406brugere-viola-side.thumb.jpg.6c16a6b036caf38071492ae669ef9740.jpg

103406brugere-viola-scroll.thumb.jpg.0b6094db15d9d7d4bb376949fa09226b.jpg

A real pleasure to look at, thanks for posting.

BTW, like always photos from Martin are so balanced tonally in terms of colours. I like them. I mean, some (even major) auction houses deliver photos that are quite not corresponding to reality.

14 hours ago, ______ said:

A real pleasure to look at, thanks for posting.

BTW, like always photos from Martin are so balanced tonally in terms of colours. I like them. I mean, some (even major) auction houses deliver photos that are quite not corresponding to reality.

Thanks, I'm glad you like our photos.

Yes - there are obviously a few different approaches to violin photography, and I suppose that for archive purposes some soft, flat, non-reflective lighting might be the best.

Most of the major auction houses choose a style of photography that eliminates reflections. While this allows for a certain kind of scrutiny, you don't really get to see the arching or the quality of the varnish, nor do you get to see when cracks aren't quite in register.

Our approach (directional LED daylight lighting) creates a few hot spots and it's very uncompromising, but at least the violins look like they do in real life, and if you're selling valuable items at a distance, often to people who can't visit in person, it's a reasonable approach. The last thing we want is someone sending back a violin or a bow that they're trying out because it looked better in the pictures.