Maestronet Forums

Making Varnish with Aleppo Pine Raw Resin

xraymymind

Hello all,

Recently I acquired some Raw Resin from the Aleppo Pine, with the intention of using it to make varnish with.

I thought to write here to ask if anybody has experience of making a good varnish with this resin. I wonder how it may differ to varnish made from Colophony; is it as hard? does it wear as well, etc.?

I would be very interested to hear any experience of how this resin works as a varnish.

Thank you

Colophony can come from wide variety of trees from pines or often spruce and many suppliers do not know exact species at all. What is called colophony is typicaly what remains from raw resin after distillation of turpentine and other volatiles. So, you can use it raw but count with the fact that it contains the volatile parts that will likely cook out of the varnish (you should compensate in oil/resin ratio for this - but you cannot know exact oil/resin ratio in final product) or you can  cook it first to remove the volatile parts (and filter it while hot) and make your own colophony.

On 10/8/2020 at 3:09 AM, xraymymind said:

Hello all,

Recently I acquired some Raw Resin from the Aleppo Pine, with the intention of using it to make varnish with.

I thought to write here to ask if anybody has experience of making a good varnish with this resin. I wonder how it may differ to varnish made from Colophony; is it as hard? does it wear as well, etc.?

I would be very interested to hear any experience of how this resin works as a varnish.

Thank you

I don't know about allepo pine. But you should check up on the flash point before cooking. Some pines flash extra low.

That said, I use a balsam to cook rosin.  But you want varnish to dry.  So you don't want all the volatiles that make the balsaam liquid to remain in your varnish.  And you'll have trouble judge how much volatile remains while you cook the varnish.   

What I do is first separately cook my larch balsaam down to a rosin.  Then I make varnish.