Sign in to follow this  
Stringy

Scots luthiers

I am fond of trawling through adverts for violins on sale all over the net, i have no wish to buy I am just a window shopper basically, trying to increase my knowledge of violins, anyway I came across one on gum tree the other day who I had never heard of and wondered if anyone can provide any info, his name is George hill of dundee and made the instrument I looked at in 1909. the only hill family i could see on the net who made instruments were from down south, so any wisdom would be appreciated.

There is no mention of a George Hill of Dundee in the Rattray book, neither in Honeyman’s book from 1899, although Honeyman lists plenty of taxidermists and railwaymen who made the odd violin as a hobby. I listed one recently (also neither in Rattray or Honeyman) here

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

There is no mention of a George Hill of Dundee in the Rattray book, neither in Honeyman’s book from 1899, although Honeyman lists plenty of taxidermists and railwaymen who made the odd violin as a hobby. I listed one recently (also neither in Rattray or Honeyman) here

There is more than one "Dundee".  One of them is about 20 miles south of Ann Arbor, and is famous for not only being close to Ann Arbor with all our super-cool fiddle makers:P, but because it also has a huge "Cabela's" hunting, fishing and camping store. The stores  massive parking lot is frequently used as a starting point for some motorcycle charity rides, involving thousands of motorsikkles. Me wife and I have ridden in a few, on our Harleys of course.

There is also a Milan about 10 miles south of Ann Arbor. :)

12 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

There is more than one "Dundee".  One of them is about 20 miles south of Ann Arbor, and is famous for not only being close to Ann Arbor with all our super-cool fiddle makers:P, but because it also has a huge "Cabela'ss" hunting, fishing and camping store. The stores  massive parking lot is frequently used as a starting point for some motorcycle charity rides, involving thousands of motorsikkles.

As long as they have no Vienna;)

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

There is more than one "Dundee".  One of them is about 20 miles south of Ann Arbor, and is famous for not only being close to Ann Arbor with all our super-cool fiddle makers:P, but because it also has a huge "Cabela's" hunting, fishing and camping store. The stores  massive parking lot is frequently used as a starting point for some motorcycle charity rides, involving thousands of motorsikkles. Me wife and I have ridden in a few, on our Harleys of course.

Dallas of course is a small village in Fife ...

22 hours ago, Stringy said:

I am fond of trawling through adverts for violins on sale all over the net, i have no wish to buy I am just a window shopper basically, trying to increase my knowledge of violins, anyway I came across one on gum tree the other day who I had never heard of and wondered if anyone can provide any info, his name is George hill of dundee and made the instrument I looked at in 1909. the only hill family i could see on the net who made instruments were from down south, so any wisdom would be appreciated.

I once had a violin (looking more or less autodidactical made) by a Geo. Hill from West Bromwich 1931. No records of him, too. Maybe he moved there from Dundee later, but I guess that Hill isn't a very rare name.

48 minutes ago, Blank face said:

I once had a violin (looking more or less autodidactical made) by a Geo. Hill from West Bromwich 1931. No records of him, too. Maybe he moved there from Dundee later, but I guess that Hill isn't a very rare name.

Quite interesting, Hill probably isn’t a rare name , but coincidence that there should be two George Hills who were both luthiers around the same time period. Did you have any photos of your violin?

1 hour ago, Stringy said:

Quite interesting, Hill probably isn’t a rare name , but coincidence that there should be two George Hills who were both luthiers around the same time period. Did you have any photos of your violin?

At least the time difference is 22 years, quite a long period for an amateurish maker. But maybe you can find a resemblance to your's.

IMG_6202r.JPG

IMG_6207.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

IMG_6217.JPG

IMG_6226.JPG

It’s similar in ways to the one I looked at, but in others quite different, the scroll for instance is definitely different, to my untrained eye anyway.