Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Krieger

Hawkes & Sons Cello Bow

I found a cello bow in an antique store in Concord, MA stamped Hawkes & Sons for a song. This was the company that merged with Boosey in the 1940's. I know they produced mostly band instruments, but this is a rather nice cello bow. Perhaps the company employed talented bow makers?

I would like to know more.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Krieger said:

Thisis a rather nice cello bow. Perhaps the company employed talented bow makers?

No, finished bows will have been bought in, then branded up before sale.

Hawkes & Son bought in violins from some very prestigious makers. Pedrazzini probably the best known ...

Some of the Hawkes & Son branded bows are made by good French makers - it would be interesting to see photos. Is it silver-mounted?

Probably CN BAZIN/ shop

Depending on if button has any pins. Is there one here , as may explain the remaining ring being out of position. Ebony cores of the button do like to split where the pin is located . Pearl slide is obviously a  later replacement.

frog_2.jpg.c36ad1058101b77271da5a216054b8c0.jpg

I had a Hawkes and Sons viola bow, over 15 years ago.  It was a nice player but a little short, which bothered me. I put it at auction and it did better than I thought it would.

21 minutes ago, Jeff Krieger said:

Yes, there are pins. There is a pin hole for the missing ring.

Jeff, where the missing back ring is supposed to be, does it look like it was a "cap", or was it a ring and had a pearl eye in it? It looks like it was a cap.  L'Archet states that on CN Bazin's, the Vuillaume style buttons "always" had a metal cap on the back ring.

FC/Martin.  In trying to learn this, the thing that made me think "not German" was

1.  Couliesse (sp?) stopped before the stick end, though I know that some of the better German ones copied this too

2.  The area of the frog at the ferrule is very long and slender, not what I'm typically seeing on the German Vuillaume style bows.

3.  Don't know what to think about the pin/no pin deal with the button.  Do the German ones typically NOT have pins here?

4.  Head definately looks very much like the cello ones in L'Archet for CN Bazin, now that you have pointed in that direction.  Hard to see the facets on this picture though.

Any thoughts on what I've stated above?

I believe there was a silver cap at the end of the button or there would still be the ebony rim around the pearl eye. Is there a list of bow makers who worked in the Bazin shop? This is probably worth running by my bow mentor, Lynn Hannings. I'll let you know what she thinks.

4 hours ago, Jeff Krieger said:

Is there a list of bow makers who worked in the Bazin shop? 

I see this in Paolo's discussion of C. N. Bazin (link below):

Workers hired by C.N. Bazin in 1901

BRIQUEL Victor, CARDOT Charles, DUMONT Auguste, FETIQUE Victor Francois, GILLET Georges, JOLY Charles Louis, MORIZOT Louis, PIERNOT Charles Emile, REMY Camille, REMY Emile, SCHWARTZ Paul, TOUSSAINT Auguste.

Workers hired by C.N. Bazin in 1906

BAZIN Louis, BRIQUEL J. Victor, BROUILLER Victor, CARDOT Charles, DUMONT Auguste, DUMONT Leonis, GILLET Georges, HENRY Alexandre, HUSSON Artur J., LOTTE Francois, LOTTE Rene Emile, MALINE Sigisbert, MORIZOT Louis, PIERNOT Charles Emile, REMY Camille, REMY Georges, SCHWARTZ Paul.

http://www.atelierdarcheterie.com/blog_eng/Articoli/charlesnicolasbazinthefou.html

18 hours ago, Jeff Krieger said:

Is there a list of bow makers who worked in the Bazin shop? This is probably worth running by my bow mentor, Lynn Hannings. I'll let you know what she thinks.

As J-G's list shows, a vast number of bow-makers went through the Bazin workshop. But they made Bazin bows, I don't think you would find traits of any of these makers in the work ...

15 minutes ago, Jeff Krieger said:

Lynn Hannings said that there are Sartory bows with the Hawkes & Sons brand. 

That may have been true, I'm sure over the years Hawkes & sons sold bows from many different workshops, in France, England and Germany.

Pretty sure Sartory never used that frog mounting in your pictures however.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Krieger said:

I think it helps to confirm that the company bought bows from top makers.

That's an established fact. But Bazin is the principal name that comes to mind with French bows... and HR Pfretzschner for German bows.