Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Bridge Edge Width

The thickness of this bridge blade is 2-3 mm. Is that about right? It looks a little bit thick to me, but that’s possibly because the entire bridge is perhaps a bit thick. Is there a relationship between the thickness of the feet and the thickness of the blade?

A71A4886-DB01-4CDE-9BC2-E111E3DC3D5A.jpeg

I usually make the top of a cello bridge 2.2-2.5mm, violin and viola no thicker than 1.5 mm. Less than 2, it tends to eat strings, more than 2.5mm would be some sort of attempt at altering the sound/more likely response of the instrument.

As for a relationship between the thickness of the bottom and top, not directly. I wouldn't make a bridge thicker at the base because I chose to leave the top thicker. Some leave the top thicker on one side than another.

29 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

The thickness of this bridge blade is 2-3 mm. Is that about right? It looks a little bit thick to me, but that’s possibly because the entire bridge is perhaps a bit thick. Is there a relationship between the thickness of the feet and the thickness of the blade?

A71A4886-DB01-4CDE-9BC2-E111E3DC3D5A.jpeg

Are we talking violin viola cello or bass?

Looks like a cello bridge to me. I aim for 2.6 for cello bridges, a little thinner if the bridge is higher quality and going on a professional level instrument.

A lot of amateur workmen will just leave the feet at the thickness of the blank and only thin down the top. It makes the bridge too stiff in the waist and exaggerates the wedge shape. 

I’m sorry, yes this is a cello bridge.
The student complained that the strings were a bit low, and my first impulse was to suggest adding a leather strip in the groove to add a bit of height, and then I noticed that the Groove already had a leather strip. Then it seemed the bridge edge seemed a bit thick, so I asked the question.

4 hours ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

Looks like a cello bridge to me. I aim for 2.6 for cello bridges, a little thinner if the bridge is higher quality and going on a professional level instrument.

A lot of amateur workmen will just leave the feet at the thickness of the blank and only thin down the top. It makes the bridge too stiff in the waist and exaggerates the wedge shape. 

Thank you, and @duane88 as well. This is a DMC cello, really nice for the money, but this original bridge, stamped “Bachendorf” if I remember correctly, has always seemed a bit thick, although it’s correctly fitted and hasn’t warped a bit in 15 years. Maybe the cello would benefit from a new one...

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Thank you, and @duane88 as well. This is a DMC cello, really nice for the money, but this original bridge, stamped “Bachendorf” if I remember correctly, has always seemed a bit thick, although it’s correctly fitted and hasn’t warped a bit in 15 years. Maybe the cello would benefit from a new one...

Well, if it is a bit thick and not warped, why not see if someone is willing to modify the existing bridge? 

DMC= Deltex Music Company. It's a Chinese instrument.

12 hours ago, duane88 said:

Well, if it is a bit thick and not warped, why not see if someone is willing to modify the existing bridge? 

DMC= Deltex Music Company. It's a Chinese instrument.

Yes I know where the cello came from. I have a great story about it, but it led to about a dozen of my students ending up with DMC cellos, and all of them have been really nice.