Sign in to follow this  
Mike B

High-resolution 3D Printed Scroll

I've printed the scroll from the Betts Stradivarius violin (https://loc.gov/item/ihas.200155591) using a Form3 SLA (www.formlabs.com). The printer is owned by Nova Labs (www.nova-labs.org), the local maker space. Overall, this print cost around $25 in materials. 

This model was built from CT scans of the Betts Strad and some excess smoothing in the surface reconstruction has caused "artifacts" that need to be handled. The most obvious is "smoothing" of the string indents in the nuts. This printer is capable of printing more detail than the current model provides, so there is room for improvement of the features. In the model, the finger board and nut have not been removed from the neck. The next iteration will see these removed and will see corrections to some of the smoothing artifacts. 

This model is near the maximum length that the printer can handle. The piece in the attached images has not been removed from the printing supports.

The printer itself has a printable volume that is sufficient to print slightly over half of a violin plate. Once I have the top plate of the Betts violin modeled, I intend to print the plate in two sections, with an overlap in the C-Bouts. At the same time, I'll print arches corresponding to the model. 

IMG-0720.jpg

IMG-0721.jpg

IMG-0722.jpg

IMG-0723.jpg

Edited by Mike B
Corrected Nova Labs URL

Very cool!  What format/information does the 3D printer need to produce scale objects like scrolls and plates?  

Thanks,

Jim

The Form3 supports OBJ and STL. I'm happy to print or help print as time allows - pleased send me a message if you'd like to give something a try!

4 hours ago, Bill Yacey said:

How are you going to graft that onto a neck? :D

Hot melt adhesive of course!

9 hours ago, Mike B said:

I've printed the scroll from the Betts Stradivarius violin (https://loc.gov/item/ihas.200155591) using a Form3 SLA (www.formlabs.com). The printer is owned by Nova Labs (www.nova-labs.org), the local maker space. Overall, this print cost around $25 in materials. 

This model was built from CT scans of the Betts Strad and some excess smoothing in the surface reconstruction has caused "artifacts" that need to be handled. The most obvious is "smoothing" of the string indents in the nuts. This printer is capable of printing more detail than the current model provides, so there is room for improvement of the features. In the model, the finger board and nut have not been removed from the neck. The next iteration will see these removed and will see corrections to some of the smoothing artifacts. 

This model is near the maximum length that the printer can handle. The piece in the attached images has not been removed from the printing supports.

The printer itself has a printable volume that is sufficient to print slightly over half of a violin plate. Once I have the top plate of the Betts violin modeled, I intend to print the plate in two sections, with an overlap in the C-Bouts. At the same time, I'll print arches corresponding to the model. 

IMG-0720.jpg

IMG-0721.jpg

IMG-0722.jpg

IMG-0723.jpg

This is gonna bust the cast cabal for sure. 

I’ll look into the latest tools for changing orientation and the support connections. They can typically  be cleaned off easily. The software automatically optimized the supports in this case. I have some friends who have good expertise in using this printer and I’ll ask them for suggestions. 

Mike

I would really like to have 3D printed plates.   What are some good resources to get started learning how to do that?  

19 hours ago, MikeC said:

I would really like to have 3D printed plates.   What are some good resources to get started learning how to do that?  

There are a few hurdles to doing the above. You have to convert CT scans to mesh files (.stl) for printing. Another obstacle is that many printers are size limited. The workaround is to do sections and then glue them together. Scrolls are more manageable to print due to the size. A better route is to CNC the plates.

The scaffolding makes it seem monumental.
Once you have the next iteration worked out would you be interested in sharing the file or possibly printing the scroll for others?
I would love to have something like this for reference. 

On 10/7/2020 at 2:24 PM, J.DiLisio said:

The scaffolding makes it seem monumental.
Once you have the next iteration worked out would you be interested in sharing the file or possibly printing the scroll for others?
I would love to have something like this for reference. 

Me too. For reals. This could be a game-changer. Hope it doesn't get squashed by Big Casting, lol.