Mystery dark-varnish violin

7 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Yes, it's Chinese.   What caught my attention wasn't just the over-the-top antiqued varnish job.  This particular Chinese reseller usually has comparatively high prices for their offerings, but not this model, which seems odd.  A couple of months ago, they were selling this type for an even lower $41.65, which makes one wonder what the cost before markup is.  It can't be much.

I'm a bit wondering why you asked the OP question knowing exactly what it is (and everybody else, obviously, too).

I see a good chance that this VSO simply consists to it's greatest part of plastic.

8 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Yes, it's Chinese.   What caught my attention wasn't just the over-the-top antiqued varnish job.  This particular Chinese reseller usually has comparatively high prices for their offerings, but not this model, which seems odd.  A couple of months ago, they were selling this type for an even lower $41.65, which makes one wonder what the cost before markup is.  It can't be much. :huh:

10 years or so ago, I purchased several fractionals for my kids from Song through eBay for $150-200. They were very good student violins; much better than the rentals and Scherl and Roths that their classmates were playing. They even had decent set-ups (except for strings), and the wood was beautiful. Parents that I recommended buy Song fractionals were also very satisfied.

My guess is that a violin like this one (for $50!) is a factory second that did not pass quality control. I bet that "varnish" is hiding something.

On 10/4/2020 at 12:24 PM, GeorgeH said:

10 years or so ago, I purchased several fractionals for my kids from Song through eBay for $150-200. They were very good student violins; much better than the rentals and Scherl and Roths that their classmates were playing. They even had decent set-ups (except for strings), and the wood was beautiful. Parents that I recommended buy Song fractionals were also very satisfied.

My guess is that a violin like this one (for $50!) is a factory second that did not pass quality control. I bet that "varnish" is hiding something.

I think that "varnish" was a case of too much dye in the spray gun mix. So yes, they didn't pass quality control. I doubt if the wood is to blame.

4 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

It ultimately sold for $2.25 (yes, two dollars and twenty-five cents) plus $95 shipping.

That was a separate auction.  The one that I posted is a buy-it-now set at $59.00, with $58.00 shipping.   The hows-and-whys of extortionate shipping would make a good subject for a thread of its own.

3 hours ago, sospiri said:

Wow. Vda got a bargain.

Wasn't me.  :)

3 hours ago, Violadamore said:

That was a separate auction.  The one that I posted is a buy-it-now set at $59.00, with $58.00 shipping.   The hows-and-whys of extortionate shipping would make a good subject for a thread of its own.

Wasn't me.  :)

I'm disappointed! I was hoping for an opportunity to indulge in my violin obsession vicariously! I thought maybe you were doing some cosplay...or reenacting (enacting?) The Devil Went Down to Georgia for Halloween!

• 4 weeks later...