Sign in to follow this  
bsharma8

Lucky Buy?

1 minute ago, sospiri said:

So you're keeping it to play? I hope so. I really love these because they are beautiful student instruments. Yours especially so.

Yes, I am keeping it otherwise I would not have gotten it fixed up. I hope to enjoy it for the years to come and I'll think about trading up when I want to spend a bit of money.

9 minutes ago, bsharma8 said:

Yes, I am keeping it otherwise I would not have gotten it fixed up. I hope to enjoy it for the years to come and I'll think about trading up when I want to spend a bit of money.

So you don't have evil intentions to make a killing then?

Phew, I was getting worried. I hope it sounds as goog as it looks?

1 minute ago, sospiri said:

So you don't have evil intentions to make a killing then?

Phew, I was getting worried. I hope it sounds as goog as it looks?

lol not at all. The "Valuation" just surprised me and I thought I had done good for what it's worth. Sounds pretty good to me but I'll have one of my Juillard friends try it out so I can see what it's capable of.

15 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

about what?

Is it a pretty shade of red?

Is it Cornerblockologically interesting?

Should Americans learn about the Thau milling machine?

Is it safe to talk about them now they are tucked up in bed?

42 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

since yall stole the h-bomb somebody's always awake watching you

I wondered if there might be a few paranoid insomniacs lurking?

19 hours ago, Delabo said:

I refer you  to Blank Face original post and the comment about the arching made...........

17 hours ago, bsharma8 said:

The "Valuation" just surprised me and I thought I had done good for what it's worth

I think I corrected my comment about the arching in the meantime. Too early just meant exactly this, but now after we've seen more clear photos it looks like a "usual" Markneukirchen trade of a better grade. The Heberlein label is of course a very odd attempt to confuse naive buyers, I guess in Germany this would have fallen under copyright (Geschmacksmuster) violation and been forbidden very soon, but in the USA is "liberty".:wacko:

Reg. valuations, in another thread I tried to describe recently that this always has to be seen in a context. The same violin valuated by a retail and repair shop for 5 K could be estimated by an auction house in the same city for a 500 reserve only. That's the reality one should face.

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

I think I correcteded my comment about the arching in the meantime. Too early just meant exactly this, but now after we've seen more clear photos it looks like a "usual" Markneukirchen trade of a better grade. The Heberlein label is of course a very odd attempt to confuse naive buyers, I guess in Germany this would have fallen under copyright (Geschmacksmuster) violation and been forbidden very soon, but in the USA is "liberty".:wacko:

Reg. valuations, in another thread I tried to describe recently that this always has to be seen in a context. The same violin valuated by a retail and repair shop for 5 K could be estimated by an auction house in the same city for a 500 reserve only. That's the reality one should face.

Markneukirchen. That's what the fake label says. I say Schönbach of the former Czechoslovakia, now Luby, but the New York importer who stuck the fake label on new that Schönbach instruments were considered less valuable so it was labelled to look as if it was part of the Heberlein family of Markneukirchen.

Edited by sospiri
more info

Looks like a nice violin (clean) to play on. For approximately 750 usd nicely set up with good playability I’d be happy.  I’ve bought junk heaps (that should hit the dustbin) and piled that much repair into them.  In fact, working on one now...alas.  Congrats on your new (old) fiddle.  Oh ,by the way, I thought of a new money making idea for jacobsaunders.  Just put your dustbin violins in a pile in front of your door with a sign “free if restoration is desired”;) 

2 hours ago, sospiri said:

Markneukirchen. That's what the fake label says. I say Schönbach of the former Czechoslovakia, now Luby, but the New York importer who stuck the fake label on new that Schönbach instruments were considered less valuable so it was labelled to look as if it was part of the Heberlein family of Markneukirchen.

Have you looked at a map? They are basically the same place ...

6 minutes ago, martin swan said:

They are 5 miles apart which is a fair old distance to take a wheelbarrow load of violins by foot.

A nice stein of German beer and the long walk back home.

I just made myself feel thirsty.

12 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Oh yes. 15 km apart. So much work going on within that strange period of history.

And the industrial advances that made these instruments available at low cost.  

I want to know the exact workshop it came from.

The point is that many of the violins "made" in Markneukirchen started out in Schoenbach or were completed there. I don't think the distinction is very relevant in the context of this violin.

21 minutes ago, martin swan said:

The point is that many of the violins "made" in Markneukirchen started out in Schoenbach or were completed there. I don't think the distinction is very relevant in the context of this violin.

What changed after WW1? That's what fascinates me.

4 hours ago, Delabo said:

They are 5 miles apart which is a fair old distance to take a wheelbarrow load of violins by foot.

In 1909 markneukirchen finished its own rail line that extended nearly to schonbach. So they could drink on the train. Much more enjoyable;)