Sign in to follow this  
Kheong

Another Sebastian Kloz Replica Violin?

Recommended Posts

Just now, jacobsaunders said:

You didn't answer my question

No, Jacob, I'm not in some sort of delirium.   Are you unfamiliar with the usual appearance of Chinese student fiddles?  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Violadamore said:

OK, IMHO, you have a very good quality commercially made Chinese violin with some custom design changes made to simulate a better-quality circa 1900 Markneukirchen trade violin.  How well does it sound and play?  :)

I don't think there are any "custom design changes" at all, or that it is simulating "better quality circa 1900 Markneukirchen trade violin"

40 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

OK, Jacob, what would you identify it as, bearing in mind that an ordinary Chinese trade-fiddle, being based on the old Mirecourt variety, design-wise, has center cleats, pointy rib corners, bitter-end throat flutes, and no delta on the scroll back?  :P

Usually, when they want one to look "German", they just use brown varnish on it (think, "Johannes Köhr"). :lol:  With this one, somebody went well beyond that.  :)

No they don't. Almost all of the Chinese student fiddles I've had the misfortune to see don't have the fluting carved to the end, usually it stops way short. The rib ends are often around 1.5mm and more.

27 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

No, Jacob, I'm not in some sort of delirium.   Are you unfamiliar with the usual appearance of Chinese student fiddles?  :)

All Chinese fiddles must look the same, even though there will be hundreds of workshops churning these things out on a variety of patterns? Does an Eastman VL80 look like a Jay Haide?

No, they don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

I don't think there are any "custom design changes" at all, or that it is simulating "better quality circa 1900 Markneukirchen trade violin"

No they don't. Almost all of the Chinese student fiddles I've had the misfortune to see don't have the fluting carved to the end, usually it stops way short. The rib ends are often around 1.5mm and more.

All Chinese fiddles must look the same, even though there will be hundreds of workshops churning these things out on a variety of patterns? Does an Eastman VL80 look like a Jay Haide?

No, they don't.

Okay, whatever.  I gave my opinion. It's not worth arguing about.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

No, Jacob, I'm not in some sort of delirium.   

Last time I had a (very) high fever and I got taken to hospital in an ambulance, I was convinced in my delirium that it wasn’t a proper hospital at all, but some dubious Chinese human trafficking factory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Kheong said:

Thanks for sharing so many pointers. Learnt alot. Maybe just to share a little more, this violin was passed from a French friend who is a rather passionate violin player and kept for some years thereafter. The "cracked" surface is evident on most part throughout the front and back. Suspect these were done to give a vintage look.. :)

1601563936327696935580707284597.jpg

Just a side question... How do you think this artificial texture was done? My first impression was a wire brush taken in short movements to not fully cured varnish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoGo said:

Just a side question... How do you think this artificial texture was done? My first impression was a wire brush taken in short movements to not fully cured varnish.

I have no idea how it was done but it looks very much like a wallpaper flower design when viewed close up.

It would make an interesting desktop background.

wire varnish.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Last time I had a (very) high fever and I got taken to hospital in an ambulance, I was convinced in my delirium that it wasn’t a proper hospital at all, but some dubious Chinese human trafficking factory

Maybe it was, and you’re a Doppelgänger? And those dreams you're having are memories? 
 

welp, there’s MY contribution...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Last time I had a (very) high fever and I got taken to hospital in an ambulance, I was convinced in my delirium that it wasn’t a proper hospital at all, but some dubious Chinese human trafficking factory

“SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE!!”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

“SOYLENT GREEN IS MADE OF PEOPLE!!”

Had to look that up...

I wonder if the drink was named after the movie? *gag*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Rue said:

Had to look that up...

I wonder if the drink was named after the movie? *gag*

“Gives it that special zesty taste!”

seriously, you never saw the movie? A dystopian classic, based on the Harry Harrison book “MAKE ROOM! MAKE ROOM!” Which was the most depressing thing I ever read from his pen.
Those are the final words in the movie.
I wonder how soon we’ll get there?

Edited by PhilipKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

...

seriously, you never saw the movie? A dystopian classic, based on the Harry Harrison book ...

I  saw 200 Motels. Does that make up for it?

...still don't know what it was about...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2020 at 9:45 AM, Violadamore said:

OK, IMHO, you have a very good quality commercially made Chinese violin with some custom design changes made to simulate a better-quality circa 1900 Markneukirchen trade violin.  How well does it sound and play?  :)

Not sure if it is due to the strings (windings similar to Obligato?), but it sounded more focused with deeper lower register than the Emmanuel Wilfer violin I've got, just not quite as powerful as the Conrad Gotz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.