Sign in to follow this  
Kheong

Another Sebastian Kloz Replica Violin?

Dear All

Apologies in advance on taking up your time and bandwidth, but this is my first post seeking help with the identification of a labelled Sebastian Kloz violin. I have changed the tailpiece, but it came with a hill version with 1 fine tuner.

Please let me know if other pics would be helpful, and I will try my best to furnish them.

Again, thank you for all the great read.

Regards

Kheong

20200928_141848.jpg

20200928_142103.jpg

20200928_141933.jpg

20200928_142210.jpg

20200928_142303.jpg

20200928_142316.jpg

20200928_142344.jpg

20200928_142435.jpg

20200928_142517(0).jpg

20200928_142732.jpg

20200928_142755.jpg

I'm by no means violin expert but my first impression after seeing fronnt was modern Chinese. Certainly doesn't look like old instrument.The experts will be here soon to correct me if I'm wrong.

9 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

Not a Kloz.
Outline, scroll, varnish, arching and F holes nothing like a Kloz. Not German, not old.

Since we’re on the Kloz subject...we’re there any family members that branded internally instead of a label. I recently acquired what seems to be an old Klotz without a label and want to know where to look inside. 

13 hours ago, HoGo said:

I'm by no means violin expert but my first impression after seeing fronnt was modern Chinese. Certainly doesn't look like old instrument.The experts will be here soon to correct me if I'm wrong.

I am no expert at all. However, it does look Chinese to me, and a well-made one.

5 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Not a Klotz. I don’t know anything but I know that. 

More importantly perhaps, is isn't a "replica" of a Klotz, rather a "replica" of a piece of shit with an outrageous fake label

Arrrrgh!!  [Double facepalm.]  Blasphemy!!!!  :huh:  :(  :rolleyes:

@Kheong, very nice, clear photos, thank you.  Please add two additional pics, one showing the back side of the scroll and neck from the top to the button, and a second pic taken obliquely through the treble side F-hole, to show the area around the base of the soundpost.  :)

[Aside to the audience]  We might as well see the full extent of this travesty.  I've been expecting something like this to appear for a long time now.  The Four Horsemen seem to be gathering.  Dear heavens, fake rubbish.........   [Begins to weep theatrically.]  :ph34r:

45 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

I guess you have never played a real one.

I’ve known a few Klotzes and they sounded fantastic. Do they not generally sound good?

oh I should have shared this comment with @matesic

Edited by PhilipKT

9 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

More importantly perhaps, is isn't a "replica" of a Klotz, rather a "replica" of a piece of shit with an outrageous fake label

Yes it occurred to me that this was no attempt to copy anything, it was just a violin and somebody slapped In a random label. The Rolodex was at “K” And so Klotz was the choice.

This brings to mind a question that has occurred to me often. Would anybody ever actually want to copy a Klotz? Not with deception in mind but in an attempt to actually re-create it because it sounded great? Was that fundamental design worth copying? And I know they were lots and lots and There is lots of variation, but I hope the question is clear regardless. I think they are very attractive instruments. But are they worth copying?

4 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Would anybody ever actually want to copy a Klotz?

Here's one, in period set up, not sure how successful he was making it a true copy.

http://www.devinhoughviolins.com/jkloz.html

I have seen some recent M-wald makers whose instruments looked like Kloz copies. Cant come up with a name though, maybe it will pop into my head.

1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

I guess you have never played a real one.

Just trying to sweeten the pill. Maybe my jokes would go down better in semaphore

14 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Is that varnish accurate?

I dont think he tried to replicate that, looks like all of his instruments use the same varnish. But you would have to ask him.

2 hours ago, deans said:

Here's one, in period set up, not sure how successful he was making it a true copy.

http://www.devinhoughviolins.com/jkloz.html

I have seen some recent M-wald makers whose instruments looked like Kloz copies. Cant come up with a name though, maybe it will pop into my head.

I just acquired this and thought it looked early Mittenwald and In the Klotz family...

C4E0647C-E428-4B1A-B3E8-63FA8D8B9B40.jpeg

0A39A1AE-A765-4660-8B5C-E3BB66867956.jpeg

4D15A7E6-37BD-4D24-A0BC-0B4B0484F1EA.jpeg

253405A3-9ADD-4608-A5A1-4C4561786159.jpeg

48F0AD97-0E2F-4493-8C37-25A60082ADD1.jpeg

That one looks unusual to me, some of the other guys will be more helpful. Any info on the corner blocks? For whatever reason I am thinking Dutch, but that's just something that popped in my head.

On 9/28/2020 at 9:07 AM, jacobsaunders said:

Quite right. Some nearly new VSO. Goodness knows where it comes from. The fake Klotz label is a bad joke

19 hours ago, zhiyi_zhang617 said:

I am no expert at all. However, it does look Chinese to me, and a well-made one.

Exactly, and that's the entire problem.  The point to concentrate on is that it is not intended as a fake Klotz.  It is very clearly intended to be a fake Markneukirchen-trade-fiddle-with-a-fake-Klotz-label.  Due to some hopefully inescapable realities of the Chinese mass-production process, it is obvious as what it is, to serious rubbish connoisseurs, but a disgustingly serious effort has been made here to fool the eye.   IMHO, the only possible use for something like this is by those engaged in defrauding consumers.  Everybody take a really good look, we're certain to see more of this.  :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, deans said:

That one looks unusual to me, some of the other guys will be more helpful. Any info on the corner blocks? For whatever reason I am thinking Dutch, but that's just something that popped in my head.

Good question. I’m out of town until next week and will follow up on that.