Sign in to follow this  
Davide Sora

Strad's back in town?

7 hours ago, David Burgess said:

No way! :angry:

Are you joking? "If the boys want to fight, you'd better let them"...how I love that line, and that song. But come on. It's one song. The entire catalog of Led Zeppelin is amazing (can't be said for Thin Lizzy jmo). I still believe this, although I have mostly moved on from regularly listening to music fueled by heroin. Can anyone really understand a word Robert Plant sings??? No, but his range and the power of the music makes up for that.  Or it did for me, back when I could listen to everything I wanted to. Now it's harder, with kids asking what stuff means and disagreements about popular culture much more unpleasant than this one. 

Yet again I have sent another perfectly interesting thread off the rails. I've lost count how many times I've accidently done this. Usually it's because you say something completely unreasonable.

4 hours ago, not telling said:

Yet again I have sent another perfectly interesting thread off the rails. I've lost count how many times I've accidently done this. Usually it's because you say something completely unreasonable.

No way! :D

11 hours ago, Rue said:

I have to disagree.

1. This video really needed string music. Saxophone made absolutely no sense.

2. If I wasn't intent on watching the video for the violin content (and to see what it was all about) - I either wouldn't have watched it past the first 5 minutes - or I would have muted it. The music is "that bad".

It's not the composition (the theme is fine) - it's the droning, repetitive monotony. You keep waiting for it to resolve...and it doesn't. It's very stressful and off-putting to listen to - for 30 minutes.

I understand your point of view very well, there is nothing worse than listening to music that bothers us.

let's put it this way, the advantage is that there is no dialogue in the video, a choice that allows everyone to turn off the volume and choose a soundtrack of their liking:)

The abandoned monastery where the last shots were filmed is the monastery of Corpus Domini, a truly magical place like many others in Cremona and Italy, unfortunately left in a state of neglect due to lack of funds for restorations but also of lack of foresight to political administrations part<_<

Here are some backstage photos and of our group in the monastery setting :

https://contemporaryviolins.themedia.jp/pages/4248002/page_202009201749

Anyone want to finance the restoration?:)

In this video (by the same director Mauro Maffi) you can see the rooms, rearranged for a minimum of decency by a Cremonese cultural association, that allowed us to use it for our video. Bringing to the light and making these degraded situations known is also a welcome and intentional side effect of our video.

Davide wrote:

"The abandoned monastery where the last shots were filmed is the monastery of Corpus Domini, a truly magical place like many others in Cremona and Italy, unfortunately left in a state of neglect due to lack of funds for restorations but also of lack of foresight to political administrations part<_<

Here are some backstage photos and of our group in the monastery setting :

https://contemporaryviolins.themedia.jp/pages/4248002/page_202009201749

What a "Motley Crue". :D

9 hours ago, sospiri said:

They don't know enough about Phil Lynott's music and poetry. Phil lessstines!!!

Yup. Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy hailed from Ireland. Phil joked that he and other Irish pronounced "thin" as "tin", so he thought it would be fun to backwards-convolute the spelling a bit.

11 minutes ago, Ernee said:

Did Maestro Antonio really wear his best bespoke to the bench?

Who knows, maybe when the Kings and Princes brokers came to the workshop to order violins he wanted to impress them to ask for more money;)

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

:ph34r:  :lol:

Strad_perplexed.thumb.jpg.bfd047e38c115ced72f8e4dd6b2fe0da.jpg

Of course I agree with him, also because this is not my violin and my workshop:lol:

And I know who they belong to, so......:ph34r:

(it's just a joke, I would not want the luthier concerned to take it badly by sending me his hit men^_^)

3 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Liked especially from 4:18 to 6:00. :D

Cool idea. Can someone buyM. Stradivari a flight ticket to Japan? Would like to say hello. 

:)

Now that I have met him we have become good friends, I can try to put in a good word.:lol:

I think he will be pleased to know that many Cremonese violins have ended up in Japan and that his name is so much appreciated there.

^Your address is at the end of the video so I visited your shop via Google.  Your neighbor has paintings in his upstairs window that make it look like his building has no back, but it would only work in 2D.

33 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

^Your address is at the end of the video so I visited your shop via Google.  Your neighbor has paintings in his upstairs window that make it look like his building has no back, but it would only work in 2D.

:) It is only the trees on the opposite side of the road that are reflected in the window panes. There are no reflections in my window because there is a mosquito net in front of it, and also because I don't wash the windows very often:lol:

Nice effect anyway, I had never noticed.

23 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

:)

Now that I have met him we have become good friends, I can try to put in a good word.:lol:

I think he will be pleased to know that many Cremonese violins have ended up in Japan and that his name is so much appreciated there.

Thanks so much. Hope you had a good conversation with him. My Italian is unfortunately too bad...

Hmm, he seems to be a mellow old man. I wished he'd be beethovenian furios about all the bad reproductions of his masterpieces, going around and smashing them into pieces. 

(Probably including some of my earlier productions.) 

Whenever I travel back in time to visit Stradivari, he always asks me to bring him toilet paper.  That's why his lacy sleeves are so white, from not having to use them for  the more common purpose. :D

On 10/1/2020 at 1:06 PM, tango said:

Hi Davide

Congratulations for your video.

I wish will help to open several doors in the market. :D

Regards

Tango

19 hours ago, Larry F said:

Very nice little video.  I enjoyed watching it.   

Thanks from all the cast! :)

1427460270_Cremona-liutai6-CorpusDomini-5scritte.thumb.jpg.da39de5890c29cd06308f2a67ea7175c.jpg