Sign in to follow this  
Nik Kyklo

"Tree" and Half mold. Advantages and disadvantages.

Has anyone ever tried half or "tree" shape mold? Which is the easiest to work with? Till now I have built only with the inside "Cremonese type" molds and I am curious about other procedures. Thank you.

On 9/27/2020 at 10:52 PM, violguy said:

Aren't these molds commonly referred to as "skeleton" molds? Asking for a friend.

Thanks for your answers. Yes, those molds are referred as skeleton too. 

1 hour ago, Davide Sora said:

I think the skeleton mould can be useful for making copies, it doesn't make much sense for modern personal lutherie.

I agree. It’s a very simple way to make a useful mould for one offs, or experiments, provided you are able to accurately bend the ribs.

An outline marked onto a work board, and the skeleton clamped to this works well.

I've been scanning outlines or CAT scans in photoshop and building on top of prints. I just have office sized printer/scanner but hope to upgrade to 11x17 so I am not taping the prints together.

I am really interested in building Violas so being able to scale the outlines to the desired size should be a real advantage.

1 hour ago, avandesande said:

upgrade to 11x17 so I am not taping the prints together

One option is to go to Staples. They can scan & print various sizes for you.

I recently purchased an HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 on sale and it works pretty well.

5 hours ago, avandesande said:

I've been scanning outlines or CAT scans in photoshop and building on top of prints. I just have office sized printer/scanner but hope to upgrade to 11x17 so I am not taping the prints together.

I am really interested in building Violas so being able to scale the outlines to the desired size should be a real advantage.

I've looked at this on another thread and have built some tools in Python and Matlab for similar purposes. They are more mature in Matlab, but I'm moving to Python to be more easily used by third parties.

The tools take CT scan videos or DICOMs, identify the parts (including the ribs and blocks) and orient the violin to "fit" a mould to the ribs. I'm currently "building up" a mould based on the ribs but there is no reason that I can't overlay a known mould or outline.

In addition, I've built some multi-view 3D photography tests and it looks as though I'll be able to take existing photos from different angles and use those to generate moulds.

Last, but more recent, is that I'm working on a luthierslibrary.com integration that brings in the laser scans and photos and builds up 3D models of the instruments in that collection. 

This is a big "to do" list, so I'll either post progress on this board or on my website.

Mike