Question for Violin Luthiers

Kaidee

Hello violin maker friends:

I am new to this site and also new to violin making.   I am making my second violin.  When using the bandsaw to cut the wood for the  back of the violin from outline, I forgot to allow for the button that the heel of the neck supposed to rest on!

Can I glue a piece of wood to the body or should I scrap my maple and start with a new back?  If I glue it, would it hold the pressure applied by the neck, or any other issues? 

Thanks for your input.

Kaidee

It's repairable, but simply gluing on an extra piece won't be strong enough: you'd need to do a graft, inlaid into the inner surface of the back. I'm sure if you search "button graft" on the forum you'll get an idea of what's involved.

It'll take you longer than scrapping the piece and starting again, but on the plus side you'll save some money and learn a new technique. It really depends what your priorities are, I guess. 

1 hour ago, Shunyata said:

Welcome to the club.  I did that on my 3rd violin.  We all have!

I never have. Clearly mark out the button, with arrows and explanatory text written on the wood like "stop cutting here"  if that's what you need to do.

I write all over parts while making fiddles, like "take more off here". Always have.