Sign in to follow this  
ALCO

VIOLIN I D PLEASE.

Hello,

I would appreciate your opinions on this instrument that I believe is from Markneukirchen. If possible, I would like to know when it may have been made and it's quality grade.

LoB 360mm. It doesn't have corner blocks.

More than the above, it is the fingerboard markers that I would like to know about.

I'm sorry about the quality of the photographs.

Thank you, 

Ian.

IMG_20200923_172911.jpg

IMG_20200923_173018.jpg

IMG_20200923_173117_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20200923_173158_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20200923_173219_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20200923_173242_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20200923_173259_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20200923_173329_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20200923_173339_burst_02.jpg

IMG_20200923_173500_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20200923_173521_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20200923_173735.jpg

IMG_20200923_173544_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20200923_173620_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20200923_173844.jpg

IMG_20200923_173950.jpg

13 minutes ago, ALCO said:

Hello,

I would appreciate your opinions on this instrument that I believe is from Markneukirchen. If possible, I would like to know when it may have been made and it's quality grade.

More than the above, it is the fingerboard markers that I would like to know about.

Thank you, 

Ian.

20th century. Low quality. The fingerboard markers are unlikely to be original to the violin.

That has an oddly carved back, no?

And another first for me...the inlaid fingerboard dots! Haven't seen that before. Was it common at one point in time?

Regardless, looks like a low-end beginner or school instrument.

The spacing of the inlaid dots doesn't look right for 'markers'.  On fretted instruments the dots mark the space behind frets 3, 5, 7, 9 (or 10) and 12.  So minor 3rd, fourth, fifth, etc.  Can you tell what notes you'd get on this fiddle by fingering at the dots?  I'm guessing it'd sound dreadful.

8 minutes ago, J-G said:

I'm guessing it'd sound dreadful.

It would be a good guess, and a good example to refer back to the thread about modern vs old low grade instruments.

1 hour ago, ALCO said:

Hello,

Thank you, 

Ian.

The photo quality is fine, it's the violin you should be sorry about.

Made on a Friday around quitting time.

"More than the above, it is the fingerboard markers that I would like to know about."  Why??  :huh:

Doesn't it have one of those tacky postwar "Handarbeitet in Mittenwald" stickers inside?  :ph34r:  :lol:

Thanks for your comments, good people.

Perfectly vernacular Jacob! ;)

J-G, it's a whole tone scale :blink:. There's not much call for it down my way but, as Rue has shown, it is a conversation starter. 

Yes deans and I'm delighted to discover that I actually have a cheap and nasty example of what I was enquiring about in my other thread.:D

No labels or markings that I can see. But Violadamore, surely you must agree that those markers make this an interesting violin? Very interesting!!:lol:

It was my first fiddle and I learned everything I know on it. Yeah, yeah, I know!!:unsure:

One last question: could it have been made in the nineteenth century or only, as Dave suggested, in the twentieth and if so, would that have been early on? Is that two questions?:P

27 minutes ago, ALCO said:

Thanks for your comments, good people.

One last question: could it have been made in the nineteenth century or only, as Dave suggested, in the twentieth and if so, would that have been early on? Is that two questions?:P

It could be up to 1920’s, looks like the varnish might even be sprayed on with a gun.

46 minutes ago, ALCO said:

Perfectly vernacular Jacob! ;)

J-G, it's a whole tone scale :blink:.

I expect it was exposed to Sudeten-German dialect in the womb, first quarter of the 20th C. ish.

I’m not aware of any Sudeten-German folk-music using the whole tone scale, although I remember being impressed as a teenager when Stevie Wonder started “isn’t she lovely” with one.

I would never have thought that spray-guns were used.

I have searched the web and found nothing about any inlaid markers on violins. I would have suggested it was merely a symmetric decoration, if it wasn't for the irregular spacing of the two highest dots.

Maybe I'll have a crack at the Berg concerto.

3 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Doesn't it have one of those tacky postwar "Handarbeitet in Mittenwald" stickers inside?  :ph34r:  :lol:

1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

It could be up to 1920’s, looks like the varnish might even be sprayed on with a gun.

46 minutes ago, ALCO said:

I would never have thought that spray-guns were used.

Something to consider when something looks almost Schönbach.  :)

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I’m not aware of any Sudeten-German folk-music using the whole tone scale, although I remember being impressed as a teenager when Stevie Wonder started “isn’t she lovely” with one.

Pretty sure that was You are the Sunshine of my Life. :)

5 hours ago, J-G said:

Pretty sure that was You are the Sunshine of my Life. :)

thanks, I'm sure you're right. Still astonishing that Mr Wonder started a pop song with a whole tone scale

7 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

thanks, I'm sure you're right. Still astonishing that Mr Wonder started a pop song with a whole tone scale

He was a big Jazz fan. You could say that his 70s music was an extension of Jazz for a wider audience.