Having doubts about your posture, technique, violin, or stage presence? RELAX!!

Just so everybody knows, Tim Macdonald is an extremely versatile artist, educator, scholar, and reenactor.  This particular video, however, caught my attention as embodying just about everything that could send the average violin teacher into a frothing fit if you pulled this style out on them without warning, along with flouting many "rules" that posters commonly worry about.  :lol:

https://timandjeremy.com/

http://www.tsmacdonald.com/

1 minute ago, ALCO said:

It's the same for me. I stopped playing fiddle for a while to concentrate on my banjo, but I'm back on it again and not interested in anything else. I'm fortunate enough to be able to play all day.

Are you playing Irish style fiddle?

Playing would be too strong a word I think, more like slaying.

Violadamore, 

That made me laugh!!

On the other thread, I said that I didn't like that performance, but I have watched it again and apart from a particular syncopated bowing that he employs, I've changed my opinion. I really like their interpretation of Gow.

I must find a cello player!!

IMHO, the absolute best at playing violin outside the box is Máiréad Nesbitt.  To see her do something like the routine below, you'd never know that she's impeccably classically trained, and was a professional orchestral player before she got into Celtic Woman by way of Riverdance.  :)

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

IMHO, the absolute best at playing violin outside the box is Máiréad Nesbitt.  To see her do something like the routine below, you'd never know that she's impeccably classically trained, and was a professional orchestral player before she got into Celtic Woman by way of Riverdance.  :)

Without meaning to take anything away from her performance, and admitting that it’s hard to tell viewing this on my iPhone screen, but I can’t help feeling that she’s doing the violin equivalent of lip syncing here.

35 minutes ago, MarkBouquet said:

Without meaning to take anything away from her performance, and admitting that it’s hard to tell viewing this on my iPhone screen, but I can’t help feeling that she’s doing the violin equivalent of lip syncing here.

She doesn't fake her live shows.  With regard to pre-recorded stuff produced for TV, I wouldn't doubt that they smoothed the rough spots in post-production, but she really can dance around the stage and play well at the same time.  :)

BTW, I'd guess that the possibility of improvement of the audio tracks on videos before release isn't limited to blatantly commercial undertakings like Celtic Woman.  Call it just a hunch on my part.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Hmm. Not for me. Not a fan of O'Connor either.

I am not a fan either , to be honest but, it has a bizarre quality about it, the way he moves like a piece of string In a breeze is sort of hypnotic like the snake in jungle book.  If I was in the audience I would actually be gasping for breath with the amount of rosin floating in the air, no doubt he is very popular in blue grass circles though.

On 9/22/2020 at 4:43 AM, matesic said:

Interesting! Did you ever consider attaching the bow to your foot?

I think it was a violinist in the Ensō String Quartet who was injured, they were in residence while I was at school... his shoulder went bad on him and I think he eventually had it repaired or rehabbed, but my last year at Rice he was using a large rubber band going from his shoulder to his thigh to replace the useless joint, I think.  I wonder if there's video of it somewhere.

Some of these fiddler's postures are closely related to some of the postures adopted by the Early Music crowd.  It's fun to play violin on your chest or on your arm (I haven't tried it on the leg).  Harder to do with viola.