Sign in to follow this  
Richf

Scott Yoo and the Esterhazy Collection of Violins

Recommended viewing: John Scott Yoo's latest installment on Joseph Haydn in the "Now Hear This" series on PBS, viewable on https://www.pbssocal.org/programs/great-performances/haydns-emperor-quartet-rhkkip/. 

In that program, while visiting the Esterhazy Palace in Eisenstadt, Austria, Scott and Goeff Nuttal were allowed to play two instruments from the Esterhazy collection that had been used in the Haydn orchestra. Alas, there was no mention of who made the instruments or of what else might be in the Esterhazy collection. I can find references to the baryton that Haydn played there, but not much else. 

Has anyone here toured the palace?  I wonder, are those the only two violins in the collection, or is there more to see?

fuuDRmz-asset-mezzanine-16x9-9CYEjk0.jpg
In Charleston, South Carolina, Geoff Nuttal and the St. Lawrence Quartet play Haydn's classic Emperor Quartet for Scott.
www.pbssocal.org

17 minutes ago, J-G said:

Here in Canada I get this message:

We're sorry, but this video is not available.

Here in the US, we can mostly view content from anywhere in the world. Whether or not this a good thing remains to be digested.

Probably you need a software/an App to disable the geoblocking with the help of a fake American IP address (nothing what I'm doing usually:)).

The emperor actually isn’t one of his best... it’s the most famous, but not the best. I’m wondering which would be a better choice, and there are so many. Someone once wrote that even if you cut Haydns quartet output in half, so many masterpieces would remain he would still be the greatest quartet writer.

5 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Someone once wrote that even if you cut Haydns quartet output in half, so many masterpieces would remain he would still be the greatest quartet writer.

As a child, I got dragged along to a chamber music course every summer. One year, mum bought the hardback bound edition of the complete Haydn quartets at the music flea market there. The demise of every music stand.

7 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

The emperor actually isn’t one of his best... it’s the most famous, but not the best. I’m wondering which would be a better choice, and there are so many. Someone once wrote that even if you cut Haydns quartet output in half, so many masterpieces would remain he would still be the greatest quartet writer.

How highly you rate the Emperor is purely a matter of taste. In terms of scale (and difficulty of the outer movements) it's pretty much his apex. But Haydn's quartets go on developing right as far as the two of Op.77. The unfinished Op.103 (what happened to the numbers in between?) is a sad decline and should never have been published.