Sign in to follow this  
ALCO

MODERN LOW GRADE VIOLINS

56 minutes ago, ALCO said:

Hi Don,

Who do you find inspiring and what is it about their playing?

This is getting far afield from the topic (so what's new?)... but I find lots of different things inspiring.  Classical, Irish, clawhammer banjo, guitar of various styles, but the center of my playing inspiration is old-time Southern fiddling.  I have posted this video of Alex and Tatiana Hargreaves before, one of my favorite tunes that I play a lame version of.  I will never have their improvisation skills, but it is inspiring to hear them.  And Tatiana plays a 5-string, which I hope I can make some day when my waiting list for regular stuff runs out.  I also admire the clean playing of Aubrey Haynie, and am trying to learn this cool tune.  It's a bit out of my comfort zone and not exactly "old time", but I like it.

I was going to say that about the original topic, but thought that it doesn't matter. Swapping ideas is good.

I'm impressed by those performances, but they don't inspire me to play in that way. I prefer the playing that was captured on field recordings, mainly in England but elsewhere too. There are a lot of great American fiddlers on fieldrecorder.bandcamp.com Have a listen to 'P. T. Bell, Master Texas Fiddler'.

Although it isn't 'old-time', there is some very good banjo playing on minstrelbanjo.ning.com 

I like a little of everything, but my favourite fiddle music has always been old-time, or a new  take on old-time.  The stuff you'd hear at barn dances, etc.  It's what I can listen to the longest without getting annoyed :P.  Just straight-forward toe-tapping music, nothing fancy or acrobatic...the 'meat and potatoes' of the genre...

My favourite fiddlers :wub::

On 9/20/2020 at 8:06 AM, Felefar said:

There is a lot of hand labour involved: 

at timestamp 12:21   She is having entirely too much fun!