Maestronet Forums

How much glue is needed on the top block facing the top?

Andreas Preuss

8 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

That's what I like about discussion boards. One comes up with an idea another participant finds a better or different solution. Tape could work, but since I have the groove already there I could fill it with a 1mm plastic sheet.

Concerning glue tear outs I found the most bizarre things in apparently bad repair work but it was never the cause for a buzz. Even a loose bass bar didn't make that and I have seen one.

(Maybe time for a new thread about buzzes causes and cures.)

Hmm yes that might be fun, for the alcoholics out their we're talking about violins okay! geez

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Also not a chemist. Have you looked into molecular sieves (3a)?

I have not. What I was hoping to find was a less expensive way of maintaining or achieving  low water content in alcohol, than making the ~200+ mile round trip to the moonshine states.

Doesn’n ammonium gas dry air? Not easy to work with. I guess many use small plastic bottles with a «Wizard hat» neck with a small opening. A squeeze bottle thing. I suppose it is the mother bottle that concerns?

It would be possible to keep the main container inside a larger one with drying agents in. I do experiments using reused plastic vitamin tablet containers inside larger glass jars, or small jar inside a bigger one for humidity tests etc. It should be possible to dry the air too with a suitable mixture, e.g. Silka gel or a salt solution with a very low RH equilibrium, or NH3 gas. That gas will dissolve in water, so maybe not so good idea anyway.

Seems like ethanol picks up water with no limits. I thought it was the ethanol evaporating leaving a higher water content behind. Maybe it is a bit of both.

Edited by Anders Buen
Spell correction

On 5/22/2021 at 10:50 PM, David Burgess said:

I have not. What I was hoping to find was a less expensive way of maintaining or achieving  low water content in alcohol, than making the ~200+ mile round trip to the moonshine states.

Isn't ethanol sold as fuel for fireplaces available to you? Ebay has listings for US as well but I never studied their MSDS.

Here in EU I can get this anhydrous ethanol for less than 3 Euro per liter even by mail order. My alcohol contains just traces of bitrex. in anhydrous bioethanol, that makes it 99.9+% ethanol. I believe they use molecular sieves for the production of anhydrous. There is no need for everclear unless you want to take a sip after mishap...

I have used pharmacy grade 95% ethanol in the past but since I found this I never looked back...

To OP, you could just use wax pencil on the area where you don't want the glue to stick...

22 minutes ago, HoGo said:

Isn't ethanol sold as fuel for fireplaces available to you? Ebay has listings for US as well but I never studied their MSDS.

Here in EU I can get this anhydrous ethanol for less than 3 Euro per liter even by mail order. My alcohol contains just traces of bitrex. in anhydrous bioethanol, that makes it 99.9+% ethanol. I believe they use molecular sieves for the production of anhydrous. There is no need for everclear unless you want to take a sip after mishap...

In the US, and probably most of the rest of the world, I don't know how we can truly know what we are getting.

In the US, some hand sanitizers have been recalled, because it turned out that they contained methanol, rather than the claimed ethanol only. If this can happen in the US, I imagine that it can be much worse in some parts of the world, outside of the EU.

6 hours ago, David Burgess said:

In the US, and probably most of the rest of the world, I don't know how we can truly know what we are getting.

Same here with much of imported goods. I think I'm lucky at least with this one as the distillery producing my ethanol is local and they were kind enough to send me exact specs sheets  with "recipes" of all their products (even answered on sunday) and replied all my questions so I'm pretty certain what I'm getting directly from the producer. Often the repackaged products are hard to identify.