shunkpenn

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, shunkpenn said:

...is anyone familiar with a [Juzek Master Art] label not being marked without the number, model or year?

I'm not.  But the label in your pictures looks correct for approximately 1920s and 1930s.

Edit:  Now that I've seen your instrument pictures, it  looks like a 1920s-1930s Master Art -- but not the top grade, which had a neck graft.  Could it be a viola?  The ribs look high.

I’ll admit that the scroll doesn’t appear to to flair around the edges like some I’ve had But the general shape looks right.  The fittings (tailpiece, pegs and endpin)look like original ma Juzek and it has the ebony crown on the button. And the varnish looks Juzekesque. I’m thinking it is as labeled.  Maybe some of the issue is the fuzzy pictures. I’d say it is definitely a high quality Juzek than the typical and most likely ma

42 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

I'm not.  But the label in your pictures looks correct for approximately 1920s and 1930s.

Edit:  Now that I've seen your instrument pictures, it  looks like a 1920s-1930s Master Art -- but not the top grade, which had a neck graft.  Could it be a viola?  The ribs look high.

Here is another shot of scroll area with what looks like possible graft....but not very pronounced??

A38BE2EA-783B-475A-8E24-4543DF36E4BB.png

3B935DF6-DE52-4932-AFFF-899E1CDD3F6D.png

54 minutes ago, Brad Dorsey said:

Sorry...I forgot to mention that it’s not a viola....I’m out of town for holiday and can’t measure the rib height. 

I don’t really know anything about Juzek Master Art violins apart from the information that gets repeated ad nauseum around here, but I don’t think I recall ever seeing one with a rounded top to the pegbox like that has.

Since Juzek was an importer, I guess that sort of inconsistency is possible but it seems odd to me.

21 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Looks like an authentic pre-war JMA to me, too. It has all the correct appointments, nice wood, the varnish looks right, and the scroll is grafted. I have no idea why the label is not filled in.

It's hard to be sure about the graft from these pictures, I can't see any of it at the sides, but there are lines on the top of the pegbox. Usually it's far more obvious from the side profile than above, I'm wondering if those lines are scratched on.

17 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Looks like the "usual" to me. I don't see anything indicating some extra special construction features at all.

I have to agree, it all looks pretty average to me too. But in reality they are just "the usual" which Americans get very excited over.

12 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

It's hard to be sure about the graft from these pictures, I can't see any of it at the sides, but there are lines on the top of the pegbox.

The picture resolution is not good, but as far as I can see, it is a true graft.

JMAs are "the usual," but a higher grade thereof. 

graft.gif

16 hours ago, shunkpenn said:

I know there’s been quite a few threads about Juzek Master Art violins, however, is anyone familiar with a label not being marked without the number, model or year?  

FCCED229-290C-45FC-B9A1-4D9773F90216.png

C13258B7-04E3-46EE-99A1-0AFE5DF6B72A.jpeg

668AD087-B823-48C3-8A41-4BF0C599CA89.png

This one appears to be consistent with a 1920s Juzek MA Gagliano model, which is often seen in auctions. 

Based on my limited experience, while are probably Schoenbachs/Markies, these old Juzek MAs do often have the characteristic mature, round, and pleasant tone, or "old-time" violin sound. I would think such a tonal quality separates them apart from the "typical" Schoenbachs/Markies, believed the main reason for the sought-after status in the States.

Since likely made by several shops in the area, those Juzek MAs have variations in appearance as discussed extensively in MN.

However, the tone of the OP would define its caliber, even if a genuine Juzek MA.

17 hours ago, shunkpenn said:

I know there’s been quite a few threads about Juzek Master Art violins, however, is anyone familiar with a label not being marked without the number, model or year?  

FCCED229-290C-45FC-B9A1-4D9773F90216.png

C13258B7-04E3-46EE-99A1-0AFE5DF6B72A.jpeg

668AD087-B823-48C3-8A41-4BF0C599CA89.png

Is the hand-drafted appearance of the label typical for these?  Not commenting, just asking.  :)