Sign in to follow this  
chungviolins

Flat Back Bass suggestion

Hello

I'm not a bass maker, but I do cut posts on basses occasionally. 

For flat back, post fitting is tricky mainly because it is flat: bottom end grain is not angled like the top end.

When you pull the post out, you don't get the same secure feel as you do in a vn or cello.

So I suggest this: glueing a small slanted piece on top of the brace on flat back.

I'm not sure someone already doing it or not, but I've never seen one made this way.

I think it would improve the fitting of the post and tone quality with this small addition.

Koo Young Chung 

20200904_115635.jpg

Hello Mr Koo!

in my experience, basses are like big cats. I don't know if you have pets, but you see, dogs want the toy, cats want the box. I have never seen such a wedge on flatbacks - I wouldn't place a wedge-shaped shim under the post because, even if the fit would be better in one particular point, I expect that there would be a great difference in tension when the soundpost is adusted. It seems to me that basses "like" a looser fit (I mean, the post has to be fitted  well but it should allow wider movements). A light chamfer on the top of the post is very useful.

We have a relatively stable (humid) climate here but when I visited a shop in NYC (D. Gage) I saw how many basses were in for adjustments and crack repairs everyday! (it was during the winter).

I hope that other experienced makers/repairers will join this discussion. For me, Chuck Traeger's book was a valuable source of information and I believe it's a book worth reading even for makers who work on basses only occasionally.

It is not for making post tighter, you can fit a sound post tight or loose.

It is to make fitting easier( better ) not necessarily tighter. 

If you want to fit a post with a light tension, it is more important that the angles of top and bottom comparable. (See the pic.)

20200904_143737.jpg

3 hours ago, Christopher Jacoby said:

Solving a problem that doesn't exist-- you set the foot of the post, then pull the head up behind the bridge foot.

Yup. A solution to something which isn't a problem. What's so difficult about cutting the bottom end of a soundpost at ~90 degrees to the back?

2 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

From what I’ve seen of bass sound posts, it seems some liked to cut both ends at 90 degrees :unsure:

Isn't that close enough for a  bass? ;)

What about cutting the bottom end spherical? It rests on a wide brace anyway... there would be pretty perfect contact at least at one end  :-)

9 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Evidently not, some decided to glue sections of wine cork on the ends, for a “perfect fit”

I can somewhat admire the use of available resources. ;)