Maestronet Forums

Can colophony dry faster without the use of heat?

Goran74

Hello. I would like to ask if anybody used chemical treatment to make colophony dry faster (without heating it for hours). 

G. Fry referred to Nitric acid, Maugin in acids too etc. Such acids I would like to stay away. 

Michelman and Keith Hill are using ashes. I do not have the Michelman s book but I read the article Lost art of Strad Varnish. 

Can I treat colophony by let it in water with 2- 3% KOH or NAOH? Even sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) that I tried, after 3 4 days, made the rosin less tacky.

Is there any treatment with metalic salts? 

Thank you

There are other MN'ers who know more about this, but there seems to be some confusion about what is "drying"  My limited understanding is that the alkaline chemicals (ashes included) neutralize some of the colophony acids and make it harder.  Metallic salts are to make the linseed oil in the varnish dry faster.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:00 AM, Don Noon said:

There are other MN'ers who know more about this, but there seems to be some confusion about what is "drying"  My limited understanding is that the alkaline chemicals (ashes included) neutralize some of the colophony acids and make it harder. 

I also think that neutralizing some of high acidity in rosin keeps a rosin-oil varnish stable for much longer. Without this, it can darken and become excessively brittle pretty quickly. My speculation is that high acidity in the rosin deteriorates the the linseed oil component.