Sign in to follow this  
Ray Weaver

Nurnberger Bow

A friend of mine who is a string teacher in a nearby county school system and a freelance professional (and a wonderful kind and honest person) contacted me to see if I could help a former student of hers  who has stopped playing and wants to sell her two violins and a bow. I tried to get her to approach a couple of local alternatives since I am not obviously a professional appraiser in any way, or an outlet for violins other than as a regional rep for Baroque Violin Shop in Cincinnati,  but the teacher dropped by and I said I’d look at them. The violins are just Eastmans. 

The bow is more interesting. It is stamped *Albert Nurnberger* and is obviously aged. Looking online and in discussion on Maestronet it ticks all the boxes to actually be a Nurnberger and seems in good shape except for wear around the frog and wrapping.  I’m guessing this might be worth more than the violins combined if it is genuine.  It plays well. I am simply offering her advice and do not intend to sell the bow for her, but suggest the best outlet for her to do so. Any thoughts?  

Nurnberger_Violin_Bow.zip

Tarisio has lots of advantages in situations like this. Can sell quickly,  and you dont have to drive around the planet, deal with consignments, strangers in your home etc. An there's a good chance you'll even get the best price. I'd at least send them pics to put this down as an option.

Lovely. Check auction prices. depending on where you are( near big university for instance, if selling privately you can usually get more than auction if you’re willing to wait a bit.