Sign in to follow this  
germain

Bought this bow for restoration... go ahead fire away

18 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

Yes I should probably look a bit more closely next time, I didn't notice anything but perhaps I missed the signs on first inspection. 

You just have to do the best you can and hope. But even the best Pernambuco boards have several knots. I actually think I've been really lucky with my yield. High failure rates are to be expected.

On 8/29/2020 at 2:29 PM, Richf said:

I've had knots like that in hundred-year old bows without any problems.  My understanding -- probably from folks here -- is that bow makers were less reluctant to abandon a nice stick for such blemishes than they are today.

I expect you may be right about that. We have a small knot and some streaking on a commission from one of the best known living makers in France.  The wood might not win a beauty contest for most perfectly uniform appearance but the bow plays well and works well with the instrument.

P1000210.JPG

21 hours ago, StanY said:

I expect you may be right about that. We have a small knot and some streaking on a commission from one of the best known living makers in France.  The wood might not win a beauty contest for most perfectly uniform appearance but the bow plays well and works well with the instrument.

The bowmaker decided it was acceptable. He or she must be right because his/her reputation is on the line.

Presumably the knot is far away from the head and it passed the bend test without breaking?

9 hours ago, sospiri said:

The bowmaker decided it was acceptable. He or she must be right because his/her reputation is on the line.

Presumably the knot is far away from the head and it passed the bend test without breaking?

We'll see in a hundred years or so! :-)

The little pin  knot on the op`s bow is relatively harmless . The ones which cause the problems are when you see all the grain around the knot deflecting in all directions . Hard to describe in words.

13 hours ago, StanY said:

We'll see in a hundred years or so! :-)

Let me know in 2120

12 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

The little pin  knot on the op`s bow is relatively harmless . The ones which cause the problems are when you see all the grain around the knot deflecting in all directions . Hard to describe in words.

Maybe you or I could send some pictures of ones that failed the 'bend with reasonable force' test?

Happy to report the old bow is back from restoration with Hans J. Nebel. Feels great as I expected. He even said "good stick" and identified the bow and the illegible stamp as "Wunderlich" Saxony. (I hope I have the right spelling)

He said the small knot near the tip isn't a problem at all- a weak spot for sure but nothing has happened all these years so it should be OK. 

IMG_7996.JPG

It is an indent of some sort appearing exaggerated in the photo from the ending of a previous lapping I assume.   

Wunderlich is one of this names where you can find ca. a dozen persons or more producing bows, or just branding and selling them (not to mention violins or other instruments) around 1900, one of them even working in New York. The most reknown was Fritz Wunderlich in Leipzig who used a very different brand and model. So in spite of the name being identified it probably still remains a sort of unidentifiable trade bow.

Can you show wthe head in the actual condition? I'm sure he did a nice repair work, and I don't dare to ask what were the costs.-_-