Sign in to follow this  
nathan slobodkin

Interesting viola bow

I have found that when i take pics of bows with a white background, my phone camera senses too much light and adjusts, making the bow/frog a darkish shadow.  I notice this with Nathan's pics, am I right in what's going on?

15 hours ago, Jeff White said:

my phone camera senses too much light and adjusts, making the bow/frog a darkish shadow.

I have tried to put enough physical distance (6-12") between the bow and the white background with lighting that shifts the background shadow away from directly underneath the bow. Then I use the iPhone autofocus to focus on the bow, and away from the background. That seems to work best for me.

Yes I realize the photos are pretty bad. Taken with an IPad before a rush rehair. The bow is stamped Albert Caressa Paris and since the owner has about a half a million dollar instrument I figured the bow probably merited the term "interesting".

if anybody has specific advice on better photos with my IPad I'd appreciate the help.

^if the camera has a snow setting it would help with a white background.  there are other tricks but an iphone prob doesn't have the features.  you could increase the exposure if it's possible.  the basic problem is metering assumes "18% gray" so if you shoot something mostly white it turns gray and everything in the pic is proportionately darker too.  choosing a background with approx same reflectivity as 18% gray might be easiest

11 minutes ago, Isaac Salchow said:

I only say “almost certainly” because I am looking at photos but it really can’t be anything else. 

And my pleasure.

Great to see you here Isaac ...!