Maestronet Forums

Interesting violin

Landolfi

8 minutes ago, Landolfi said:

Old French?  Label said Italian lol

Albani was from Bozen/Tyrol, which wasn't Italian during this period. This label was surely put in a long time after the fiddle was made. I wouldn't describe the violin as a copy of something particular, especially not Albani.

2 hours ago, Blank face said:

Albani was from Bozen/Tyrol, which wasn't Italian during this period. This label was surely put in a long time after the fiddle was made. I wouldn't describe the violin as a copy of something particular, especially not Albani.

Do you know if  Albani build around a mold ?

2 hours ago, jandepora said:

I can see marks on the top too. maybe reminiscence of a top with a groove, what point to...? no idea.

marks01.thumb.jpg.37941b1241abb56575a1874eda13f9ec.jpgmarks02.thumb.jpg.60d786b0e97cc5e2c508be0f0fa3453c.jpg

Could be that this are remains of a groove for the ribs, could be something else, too. Unfortunately it's destroyed by the repair. I remember taht you once showed a violin with grooves both at belly and bottom, but I guess that this is quite unusual and wouldn't make much sense anyway. The grooves are meant to help building up the ribs at the back, at the top they are useless, if not troubling.