Dieudonne Cello

Hello wonderful Maestronet people,

Can you help verify that this cello is from Dieudonne's workshop? No photo of the label, but supposedly 1930. What is the opinion of his cellos? I have heard after his injuries in the first world war he stepped back from some of the labor involved in construction.

Thanks so much.

Upper Bouts Front.JPG

Lower Bouts Front.JPG

Back.JPG

Scroll Bass.JPG

Scroll Treble.JPG

Scroll Front.JPG

Scroll Back.JPG

Side Bass.JPG

Side Treble.JPG

Neck.JPG

Dieudonne was injured in a mustard gas attack during WWI and when he came back after the war, although he supervised cello construction, He did not directly make them. I owned one from 1958 that Rene Morel sold for me. When he was looking at my cello, he did not identify any particular hand in the workmanship, but he said it was a nice instrument.

And a colleague owns one from 1934. I have played on a total of three and they all were very easy to play and sounded wonderful, but I don’t remember them being extremely powerful.

On 8/21/2020 at 1:43 PM, PhilipKT said:

Dieudonne was injured in a mustard gas attack during WWI and when he came back after the war, although he supervised cello construction, He did not directly make them. I owned one from 1958 that Rene Morel sold for me. When he was looking at my cello, he did not identify any particular hand in the workmanship, but he said it was a nice instrument.

And a colleague owns one from 1934. I have played on a total of three and they all were very easy to play and sounded wonderful, but I don’t remember them being extremely powerful.

Interesting! Thanks for your insights, Philip. I did not know he completely removed himself from construction. I wonder if Morel ever spent time in Dieudonne's shop.. How close does your colleagues 1934 cello look to this one? What is the market for them these days? 

Edited by WPage24