Sign in to follow this  
Gilbert from Texas

To restore or not old amati violin

12 hours ago, Gilbert from Texas said:

Hi,took to a professional violin shop and spoke with the owner,roughly $750 to repair in working state and or sell for $1000 to the shop for asis condition,considering its conditions,any taughts

What work did they recommend?

A full set-up, pegs, gluing, retouch, strings will add up quickly. Is this a violin you presently use, or something you just got hold of?

being offered $1000 for a broken violin by a dealer is rare.  more typical to make you buy the repairs before they'll put it on consignment...

please post pictures and i'm almost (statistically speaking) sure everybody will say take the money and run.  but this thread is useless without pictures

46 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

being offered $1000 for a broken violin by a dealer is rare.

Don’t you know that old Amati violins are worth a million dollars???

roughly translated --

"violins from bavarian forest are great

nobody can stop dancing

cowboys in america think they're wonderful

fishermen too !"

much truth

I'm thinking German C.20C violin "original" antiqued violin with some real wear on it.  PIcs are too blury to see the cracks, but, if I was doing cracks and a full set up, it would certainly exceed $750.  Can't even imagine in what world it would cost that little.

19 hours ago, Jeff White said:

I'm thinking German C.20C violin "original" antiqued violin with some real wear on it.  PIcs are too blury to see the cracks, but, if I was doing cracks and a full set up, it would certainly exceed $750.  Can't even imagine in what world it would cost that little.

Hey Jeff White,thanks for the reply,I understand that it needs repairs,but question is will it be worth it?or repairs would exceed violin value,and also as the shop owner spoke with me he asked me if i was interested in selling, offering $1000 which was very tempting including the two bows that where in the case,

23 hours ago, Jeff White said:

I am not seeing cracks on this and it looks like a better grade student fiddle. I would think $750 should cover post, bridge, strings and planing the fingerboard and would probably be worth it. If the shop is offering $1,000 cash then they think it could sell for at least $2,000-$2,500. 

6 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

I am not seeing cracks on this

On the bass side below the sound hole, it looks like there are at least two there. Possibly wing cracks too.

1 minute ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

They certainly don't look like open cracks

Hard to tell if they are closed or open on a blurry photo, I was just saying there are some cracks there.