Maestronet Forums

String ID question

w2tq

The Pirastro D string in the attached photos was purchased a number of years ago - perhaps twenty or more.  The string has a loop-end with a knot, fashioned from the light straw-colored core material (see photos p005.png and p006.png).

Please let me know if you can provide an identification of the string.  Thank you.

p001.png

p002.png

p003.png

p004.png

p005.png

p006.png

p007.png

Edited by w2tq

Dwight -

Thank you.  After posting here, I sent an email to Pirastro and am awaiting a response.

The closest I can find on the Pirastro site is the Pirastro Gold: https://www.pirastro.com/public_pirastro/pages/en/Gold-00006/

The envelope for the Gold contains the word "Wondertone" (see below) - I do not believe that the other Pirastro gut strings use that name:

vln_gold_sf.png

Yes, Wondertone used to be a line of wound gut strings alongside Eudoxa and Oliv. I'm not sure about the time periods involved - I wish the string companies could provide us a bit of history! Perhaps they feel too embarrassed to mention cancelled string lines (bring back light gauge strings!!). Wondertone Solo is a appropriation of the name for a synthetic label of strings - quite an interesting one, actually (quite low tension for a synthetic "soloist" string, I recommend it).  The Gold Label E string has a fancy cursive "Wondertone" as well. I wonder if this famous e string was borrowed from or shared with the original Wondertone set E string? Ironically the current Wondertone Solo E string is different from the Gold E.Pirastro Gold E Violin 4/4 KGL Strong – Thomann UK