Maestronet Forums

Keeping Strings Off the Pegbox Walls

Shunyata

4 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

It looks like a very cheap Chinese violin.  I often see this situation on these violins.  The problem is that the peg box doesn't flare wider than the neck, as is normal, and the pegbox walls are a bit thicker than normal.  FiddleDoug's advice makes sense if it really is Chinese.

The OP didn't provide pictures!

18 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

…the OP shunyata provided no pictures, others did but not the OP

Now I see that you’re right.

But it seems that we’ve been talking past each other, because my remarks were not directed at Shunyata’s violin.  They were directed at ceruleanx’s.  Ceruleanx put up some links to pictures that didn’t work, so GeorgeH reposted them, apparently mis-attributing the links to the OP.  My remarks were directed at the violin shown in George’s links — not to the OP’s which, as you say, we haven’t seen.

2 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

My remarks were directed at the violin shown in George’s links — not to the OP’s which, as you say, we haven’t seen.

Sorry for my mis-attribution to the OP. You're correct, I was fixing ceruleanx’s links.

ok, so....the after length of the strings behind the bridge are important for best tone... then the length of the strings beyond the nut ( I'll call that the forelength) should also have a similar effect on tone?  and if so, then the fact that when the strings rest on the side of the peg box (as above), that should be disastrous to the tone? 

Am I extrapolating correctly?

I think that is not a good extrapolation.  The bridge is a flexible support that deforms under vibration... and the bridge afterlength affects that deformation.  The nut is a rigid support with enough surface area to prevent any transmission of vibration.

10 hours ago, Mat Roop said:

ok, so....the after length of the strings behind the bridge are important for best tone... then the length of the strings beyond the nut ( I'll call that the forelength) should also have a similar effect on tone?  and if so, then the fact that when the strings rest on the side of the peg box (as above), that should be disastrous to the tone? 

Am I extrapolating correctly?

I don't think so. The after length by the bridge, is attached to the bridge, and therefore the body. The length above the nut is attached to the pegs, pegbox, and neck, which in my opinion, doesn't have much resonating power.