Sign in to follow this  
joerobson

Names names names

9 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Oh yeah? Oh yeah? Well I happen to be a member of the BFOM Appraisers Association. spacer.png

BFOM? Brothas From Otha Muthas? Baliga's Figure of Merit?

:ph34r::D

7 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

BFOM? Brothas From Otha Muthas? Baliga's Figure of Merit?

:ph34r::D

It stands for Beats the F Out of Me. :D

Your guesses were very impressive, though. :)

On 8/6/2020 at 6:01 PM, TimRobinson said:

My preference is for people to stand behind their opinions, which is why many years ago I changed to my name.  In an ideal world it would be safe and possible for everyone to feel they could do the same.  Sadly, we live in a far from ideal world.  We are all leaving an enormous digital trail and the essence of privacy is the ability to control your own personal information, so I understand and support the right to use a pseudonym. The downside of this is, as Mr Darnton pointed out, that the reader of the forum does not have important contextual information about the poster which could be very important in assessing what has been written.  Nothing is easy and the simple answers to complex issues are always wrong.

Keep safe.

Tim

Agreed.  That pretty much sums it up for me.  While I agree with Joe, I also see everyone's reasons for not using their name.  I wonder how many people on this forum don't use their name, that I personally know, but don't realize it's them. Tim's last sentence says it all.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:33 PM, Andreas Preuss said:

@Jeffrey Holmes

I see that anonymous people violate more often rules of conduct, or am I wrong?

(you could ban them from posting. First violation results in a warning second a ban for a week or so.)

And there goes Jeff's bench time, he'll never get it back :lol:. I dunno, was Lyndon his real name?

On 8/6/2020 at 1:32 PM, David Burgess said:

Mine is, but I've got recording cameras, a shotgun, a couple swords, and have been practicing.

Enter without permission at your own peril. :lol:

Shotguns are messy. Get a nice .38 revolver and practice with it. The holes are much easier to clean up.

I DO use my own name.

Orrrrrr DO I?

Nah, my real name is Milo Pheiphphenphphephpher.

But it doesn’t matter, no one is running to me for anything except directions to the nearest luthier.

But I have a Caron.

Orrrrrr DO I????

Didn't even think of privacy reasons, but you've got a few of my initials.

I didn't sign up with my real name as I didn't want to be seen as someone who knew what they were doing or should be held in awe as some of the giants here. I'm grateful that they spend the time to comment! 

My original plan was to update my name as I gained knowledge, until using all 5 names for full effect.....:huh:......realized it'll take a quincentenary since my first brain tickle

On 8/6/2020 at 4:25 PM, Michael Darnton said:

Noting first that many forums REQUIRE people use their real names.

I can't control the names people use, but I can and do downgrade their comments from the status I would give known contributors with reputations to what I give unknown contributors who may or may not be just full of hot air. Also, I have over 20 people here on ignore because the info they "contribute" is of low quality, and it doesn't take much nonsense for me to put you on that list.

Bottom line: I don't mind you being anonymous if you don't mind me downgrading your opinions to the point where I don't even want to see them on the page.

Agreed... If I can't say something because the world might hear.... perhaps I should not say it... pseudonym or otherwise.

It amazes me how much blather is posted... one of the reasons I spend  just occasional time on Maestronet. I like  the "ignore" feature.

Why would any one want to know my real name ?

I am not in the violin business.

If I was in the violin business in some way or form I would WANT people to know my name.

Its called free advertising.

I have since googled the name of the OP to find out that he is in the violin varnishing business.

So it works.

3 hours ago, Delabo said:

Why would any one want to know my real name ?

I am not in the violin business.

If I was in the violin business in some way or form I would WANT people to know my name.

Its called free advertising.

I have since googled the name of the OP to find out that he is in the violin varnishing business.

So it works.

I am!

I'm using a pseudonym for three reasons. 

1. As a MD I'm in a business where it's extraordinary important to protect my privacy. This here is private for me, and it shouldn't interfere with what I'm doing the rest of the day. Same reason why my adress and phone number aren't to be found in the phone book. People (not necessarily only patients) will look you up on the www and confront you, eventually contact you via online forums, or at least learn more about you than you wished them to. I've had my stalking experiences. Thank goodness I'm not a psychiatrist or psychologist, at least. 

2. If someone is hunting for my name in his search engine, I'd like my business site to pop up first, eventually followed by other professional informations like qualification or scientific publications. I would not want to find these covered with private stuff - for privacy reasons as mentioned above, but also for professional reasons. 

3. It has already been mentioned, but I don't need to have any foreigner know what's in my flat. It's not a collection of old Italian fiddles, but still some nice gear. It's mine, and shall remain in my possession. 

I'm not anonymous to the community here, but for the rest of the world. If there was an option to decide that the full name was only displayed to MN members and couldn't be found via Google, there wouldn't be a problem. This way, any member here who will wish to learn about my identity will get the information via PM. 

If my "opinions" are downgraded because of my pseudonym, then so be it. As an amateur player and hobbyist tinkerer, I'm not here to explain the world but to learn, sitting on the lowest step of the food chain. If there is an opinion from my side, then only as a customer or player, and not as an opponent to an expert luthier arguing about techniques or identification. And I believe everyone will be able to live with this strategy. 

But I've seen posts from people hiding behind their pseudonym in order to insult or mislead others, so I also do understand the resulting discomfort expressed by the thread starter and others. 

Edited by Nuuska
Typo

7 minutes ago, Nuuska said:

1. As a MD I'm in a business where it's extraordinary important to protect my privacy. This here is private for me, and it shouldn't interfere with what I'm doing the rest of the day. Same reason why my adress and phone number aren't to be found in the phone book. People (not necessarily only patients) will look you up on the www and confront you, eventually contact you via online forums, or at least learn more about you than you wished them to. I've had my stalking experiences. Thank goodness I'm not a psychiatrist or psychologist, at least. 

2. If someone is hunting for my name in his search engine, I'd like my business site to pop up first, eventually followed by other professional informations like qualification or scientific publications. I would not want to find these covered with private stuff - for privacy reasons as mentioned above, but also for professional reasons. 

3. It has already been mentioned, but I don't need to have any foreigner know what's in my flat. It's not a collection of old Italian fiddles, but still some nice gear. It's mine, and shall remain in my possession. 

I'm not anonymous to the community here, but for the rest of the world. If there was an option to decide that the full name was only displayed to MN members and couldn't be found via Google, there wouldn't be a problem. This way, any member here who will wish to learn about my identity will get the information via PM. 

If my "opinions" are downgraded because of my pseudonym, then so be it. As an amateur player and hobbyist tinkerer, I'm not here to explain the world but to learn, sitting on the lowest step of the food chain. If there is an opinion from my side, then only as a customer or player, and not as an opponent to an expert luthier arguing about techniques or identification. And I believe everyone will be able to live with this strategy. 

But I've seen posts from people hiding behind their pseudonym in order to insult or mislead others, so I also do understand the resulting discomfort expressed by the thread starter and others. 

As I said before,  I stand corrected.   I

was naive about the need for anonymity.

Joe

25 minutes ago, joerobson said:

As I said before,  I stand corrected.   I

was naive about the need for anonymity.

Joe

And I wasn't angry nor felt I offended in any way. I just wanted to make my reasons clear, to avoid any "another-of-these-a**holes" feelings. Maybe I am, but then please feel free to tell me. ;-) 

I believe it is healthy to bring topics like that up in a community. 

H. 

2 hours ago, Nuuska said:

If there was an option to decide that the full name was only displayed to MN members and couldn't be found via Google, there wouldn't be a problem.

Fair enough. It is my understanding that some employment contracts even prohibit using ones real name on "social media", without prior approval from the bigwigs.

1 hour ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Its been my experience that some of the rudest people on this forum are reputable violin people using their real name, ..

I can't  say that this hasn't happened from time to time. At least one person here has posted under more than one name, simultaneously,  perhaps in an attempt to dilute the criticism, or in an attempt to have it appear that there is twice the consensus.

2 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Its been my experience that some of the rudest people on this forum are reputable violin people using their real name, 

I fully agree. I wouldn't dare use my real name here.

I have made a few posts here with this name  and a few earlier ones (2 or so years ago), in an abbreviated form of my real name, only to be cut down. 

I have been working  on violins and instruments for thirty years and some of my well meant ideas and comments have been ridiculed by off handed one liners and misinterpreted responses. I have some interesting things to add , but why would I want to add what what I have dedicated my life to , to be rubbed out by some ridiculous, posturing responses?  Some things have upset me greatly by the responses I have had.

So now I rarely look at this forum , and even more rarely feel motivated to add anything at all. 

15 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

But I have a Caron.

Orrrrrr DO I????

Nope.  Juzek.

4 hours ago, Nuuska said:

1. As a MD I'm in a business where it's extraordinary important to protect my privacy. This here is private for me, and it shouldn't interfere with what I'm doing the rest of the day. Same reason why my adress and phone number aren't to be found in the phone book. People (not necessarily only patients) will look you up on the www and confront you, eventually contact you via online forums, or at least learn more about you than you wished them to. I've had my stalking experiences. Thank goodness I'm not a psychiatrist or psychologist, at least. ...

My daughter made the mistake of calling a patient from her cell phone - and her name showed up on the patients call display...the patient then proceeded to call her...repeatedly...more repeatedly...repeated the repeatedly.:mellow:  She had to block the patient.

So she switched her phone to 'private', but then didn't tell us.  I don't answer the phone if 'private number' shows up because 9/10 times it's some telemarketing thing...

We got it figured out now...^_^

2 hours ago, williamtell said:

I have made a few posts here with this name  and a few earlier ones (2 or so years ago), in an abbreviated form of my real name, only to be cut down. 

Now you have licence to shoot apples off the top of peoples heads

There are varying degrees of  experience and expertise among the contributers to this forum. All of us have some things we could learn and some of us have some things we could teach. I understand the desire of some people to protect their privacy but there is an unfortunate result that some of the people  who ask specific questions receive answers which may or may not have merit and they have difficulty separating the knowledgable responders from the merely confident. While some people may think it rude to correct inaccurate or misguided  advice others may feel obligated to do so lest inexperienced members be led astray. Knowing who is offering information and what their credentials are allows people to assess the value of someone's opinion about the topic being discussed. As some have said if one is a student who is asking questions then it doesn't hurt to remain anonymous but if one is pontificating or making declarative statements it's nice to identify yourself.