Sign in to follow this  
joerobson

Names names names

Does Burgess need all that weaponry? In my mind's eye, I imagine him tearing a prospective burglar's arm off and beating him to death with it, a la Beowolf.

1 minute ago, Three13 said:

Does Burgess need all that weaponry? In my mind's eye, I imagine him tearing a prospective burglar's arm off and beating him to death with it, a la Beowolf.

Ya, all Apocolypto style, with his bare hands!!!

10 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

Is your shop octagon shaped? :lol:

No. Both the octagon and the rectangular fighting ring at least imply some sort of fairness. I have no such intentions if someone were to invade my home.

38 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

I would have thought he bought the swords from you :)

I purchased both from an "antique mall" in Great Britain. One has extensive etching, and upon doing a few searches, suggests that it was once a ceremonial sword used by the Freemasons, which may or may not be associated with the Knights Templar.

Noting first that many forums REQUIRE people use their real names.

I can't control the names people use, but I can and do downgrade their comments from the status I would give known contributors with reputations to what I give unknown contributors who may or may not be just full of hot air. Also, I have over 20 people here on ignore because the info they "contribute" is of low quality, and it doesn't take much nonsense for me to put you on that list.

Bottom line: I don't mind you being anonymous if you don't mind me downgrading your opinions to the point where I don't even want to see them on the page.

2 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

don't you like make your own holy grails?

I have the background to make 'em mostly by hand, or kick 'em out by the thousands using production machinery. I happen to prefer the former, so that's what I do.

Anyone who wants to know or needs to know who I am has only to ask. I prefer though to keep my interests and my instruments separate from my professional life where my identity is out here and easily searchable. Having said that, I didn't abandon V.com when they demanded and end to screen names. However I do feel that I would be constrained in talking about the nice things I keep in my home if I had to identify myself more openly here.

51 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

in that case, what is the airspeed of a laden swallow?

The bird, or the swallower at the motel who advertises for dates on the internet? :lol:

9 hours ago, joerobson said:

Having participated in this Forum for some time now, I have to say how interesting and important this exchange of information and opinion continues to be.  One observation though: I find it strange that some participants continue to post under pseudonyms.  I find the posts by people who identify themselves to be far more interesting and credible....in my not so humble opinion.

on we go,

Joe

You said it Joe! 

Thanks for being straight. There are so many characters and caricatures here it is tiring to sort out the bunch.

Having participated in this Forum for some time now, I have to say how interesting and important this exchange of information and opinion continues to be.  One observation though: I find it strange that some participants continue to post under pseudonyms.  I find the posts by people who identify themselves to be far more interesting and credible....in my not so humble opinion.

on we go,

Joe

You said it Joe! 

Thanks for being straight. There are so many characters and caricatures here it is tiring to sort out the bunch.

on we go,

Joe

You said it Joe! 

on we go,

Joe

You said it Joe! 

on we go,

Joe

You said it Joe! 

I also find it easier to judge the value of someone's information if I know who they are. While there are several anonymous posters who I have learned to respect there are also some where I would be interested to know if they have any credentials to justify their opinions.

10 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

There is one downside of that. I am, in a side job, court expert, and whenever I have to testify in front of court, I find myself confronted with choice excerpts of my Maestronet posts, taken out of context by some attorney, who doesn’t even know how to tell a violin from a cello

True?

Does a german speaking judge accept things written in English for his rulings?

Just an idea for your posts: I would post a footnote which can't be ignored, maybe like this:

'The information given in this post is NOT for legal practice without prior consent from the author.'

My preference is for people to stand behind their opinions, which is why many years ago I changed to my name.  In an ideal world it would be safe and possible for everyone to feel they could do the same.  Sadly, we live in a far from ideal world.  We are all leaving an enormous digital trail and the essence of privacy is the ability to control your own personal information, so I understand and support the right to use a pseudonym. The downside of this is, as Mr Darnton pointed out, that the reader of the forum does not have important contextual information about the poster which could be very important in assessing what has been written.  Nothing is easy and the simple answers to complex issues are always wrong.

Keep safe.

Tim

"'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,"

10 hours ago, joerobson said:

on we go,

Joe

When I joined this forum, I thought long if I should participate anonymously. 

In the end I told myself that I stand for the things I am posting and don't need to hide myself. On the I other hand, living in Japan means that no one of my clients will read my postings (for good or bad) and there are apparently only two colleagues in Japan participating MN.

For anonymous participants I agree with Nathan Slobodkin.

In any case I made it my policy if an anonymous participant wants information from me by private mail, I want to know whom I am talking to.