Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

Your Opinions Please! New T2 Auction

These violas seem at least interesting. Any thoughts about what they might be or not be?

https://t2-auctions.com/auctions/lot/?csid=2199322624&cpid=3666378752&filter_key=

https://t2-auctions.com/auctions/lot/?csid=2199322624&cpid=3680354304

https://t2-auctions.com/auctions/lot/?csid=2199322624&cpid=3670605824

#59 Looks like it might be a useful instrument.

DLB

I've already looked too. To me the Roman Teller is the most interesting viola. Solid German at 16.5", probably a very useful instrument for a student who doesnt want a Chinese. The "Klotz" would be interesting if it were a bit bigger. All of the violas this time seem to be a little bit interesting for their estimates, just as potential working instruments.

I find it interesting that there are so few items on offer.

No cellos no cello bows, only 160 items and that includes books and other miscellany. I wonder what that means.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

I find it interesting that there are so few items on offer.

No cellos no cello bows, only 160 items and that includes books and other miscellany. I wonder what that means.

I think it's intentional to keep the supply down while demand is still relatively low.

2 hours ago, JRyn said:

I think it's intentional to keep the supply down while demand is still relatively low.

If I have a widget to sell and I send it to Tarisio, I want them to sell it. I don’t want to wait for a vague amount of time for the market to recover, especially regarding T2, which is “speculative, restorable and trade” stuff, IE “junque.” It’s possible they are holding back inventory, but that seems unlikely. I would imagine they are selling whatever they have, and they just aren’t getting much to sell.

I cant imagine the auction house holding back stuff. Maybe some sellers are. But it seems like a typical T2 auction, since they have gone to every other month there hasnt been as much per auction. Maybe odd that there aren't any cellos or bows, but it seems like plenty of fiddles.

They could just be waitiing for me to die :-( 

I looked at the listing for this maker on Cozio the label looks spot on. He had the habit of writing on his label and putting a number on them.  On the other hand I'm pretty sure someone with a tiny amount of skill could have faked it pretty well. The viola is a nice size and does not look like junk to me (that has a hole the size of Manhattan to drive through!)  The blackened chamfers on the #59 viola look kind of odd but I do see them in one of the instruments listed in Cozio done in the same kind of heavy sort of way.

On we go into the fog!

DLB

7 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

They could just be waitiing for me to die :-( 

I looked at the listing for this maker on Cozio the label looks spot on. He had the habit of writing on his label and putting a number on them.  On the other hand I'm pretty sure someone with a tiny amount of skill could have faked it pretty well. The viola is a nice size and does not look like junk to me (that has a hole the size of Manhattan to drive through!)  The blackened chamfers on the #59 viola look kind of odd but I do see them in one of the instruments listed in Cozio done in the same kind of heavy sort of way.

On we go into the fog!

DLB

What do you think about the flames on the back?

There is at least one lot leftover from the last T2 being offered here again.

I think people may be not consigning now because they assume that this is a bad time to sell. They might be waiting until musicians are back to work, and dealers have more cash.

15 hours ago, Ron MacDonald said:

What do you think about the flames on the back?

I don't think they look painted on or fake but the cut of the wood of the back isn't a perfect quarter cut with straight grain.  The flames might have been brought out with some chemical treatment perhaps? I'm not at all sure though.

DLB

On 8/6/2020 at 12:22 AM, Dwight Brown said:

These violas seem at least interesting. Any thoughts about what they might be or not be?

https://t2-auctions.com/auctions/lot/?csid=2199322624&cpid=3666378752&filter_key=

https://t2-auctions.com/auctions/lot/?csid=2199322624&cpid=3680354304

#59 Looks like it might be a useful instrument.

DLB

The "Hammig" has a strange outline with a rather narrow waist that would be extreme for a violin... but a viola?!?! Can't imagine it would sound good.

The "Klotz" looks interesting but could well be a Saxon with some modifications (e.g. scroll fluting). The label is certainly a very poor fake. On full resolution you can see the printed dots making up the colour.

1 hour ago, Guido said:

The "Hammig" has a strange outline with a rather narrow waist that would be extreme for a violin... but a viola?!?! Can't imagine it would sound good.

The "Klotz" looks interesting but could well be a Saxon with some modifications (e.g. scroll fluting). The label is certainly a very poor fake. On full resolution you can see the printed dots making up the colour.

Good point on the "Hammig".  The one labled Klotz looks like the label is on some sort of woven cloth with the weave running diagonaly. but that may just be my computer. You may be getting a clearer view than I am.  The "Klotz" does look old though.

DLB 

2 hours ago, Guido said:

The "Klotz" looks interesting but could well be a Saxon with some modifications

What on earth makes you think that? I would exclude Joseph sen. simply because of the corners

29 minutes ago, jack london said:

the label looks like cloth to me as well.   Jacob, have you seen labels made of cloth? 

No, I have a Joseph Klotz right here on my kitchen table, and that's label is most definatly of paper  (mind you the handwriting looks very good). Joseph Klotz sen. was in the habit of insribing his violins inside too, mine on the upper belly. Neither does it have the "dead pigs noses" style of corners  like the Tbay one, which one sees by some makers from Vils, but also sometimes on a Leidolff and elsewhere

13 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

No, I have a Joseph Klotz right here on my kitchen table

I see you finally got wise and got the book

721 Best lutherie images in 2020 | Violin, Cigar box guitar ...

52 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

Who are the customers for Klotzes?  

I don’t feel obliged to respond to every moronic question.

In case you didn’t notice, I just explained why the OP viola isn’t a Klotz

9 hours ago, Guido said:

The "Klotz" looks interesting but could well be a Saxon with some modifications (e.g. scroll fluting).

When zooming in thw scroll photo it's clearly visible that the volute is grafted to the pegbox and doesn't feature the antiquing of the rest of the instrument. It's probably the oldest part oft the whole instrument. OTOH we discussed often enough screwdriver antiquing and pinched rib corners.B)

very pretty but do they have a voice that modern classical players willing to spend the money would spend the money on?  i associate them with a sweet weak sound, likely as not wrongly....  iow, who are the customers?  didn't mean to suggest the op fiddle was genuine, just have always wondered this about klotzes, and since the name came up

5 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

very pretty but do they have a voice that modern players willing to spend the money would spend the money on?  i associate them with a sweet weak sound, likely as not wrongly....  

How many authentic Klotz family violins have you tried?

18 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

very pretty but do they have a voice that modern players willing to spend the money would spend the money on?  i associate them with a sweet weak sound, likely as not wrongly....  didn't mean to imply the op fiddle was a klotz, just have always wondered this about klotzes, and since the name came up

I've seen  couple old larger M-wald violas. They were priced pretty high, and are gone.