Sign in to follow this  
avandesande

Avandesande makings...

This is my first, it was combination of a few outlines/measurements I downloaded from the internet. Having no woodworking background it was quite a struggle and parts of it were fished out of the trash at various times. It has a couple coats of clear ATM. I learned a lot though and am much more relaxed starting a new project. I call it 'The Dadivarius'

side.jpg

side2.jpg

angle.jpg

back.jpg

front.jpg

Congrats on completing your first.  Although a clear varnish is bucking the system, I actually like seeing the natural wood color.  What is your reasoning behind the minimalist mold?

-Jim

Thanks Jim. I am going to color coat in a week or two when it is completely dry.

I think the skeleton mold is more forgiving for a beginner because mistakes in bending don't necessarily result in things getting bigger.

--Aaron

If you are going to put the time into making violins, I would suggest getting the Courtnall & Johnson book "The Art of Violin Making".  Collecting bits and pieces from the internet will miss some important things.

One thing that jumped out at me was the broad radius and bulky heel of the neck.  The standard measurement as shown in red is 26 mm, measured with a divider from the edge of the top to the centerline of the neck.  You can also get a template for the radius that's in the C&J book.

side2.jpg.181a203eef492e5ed0de2ed8904b1108.jpg.19829a7541e207a6790ca398b2138e6c.jpg