Maestronet Forums

Cello ID Help

WPage24

Hi there, recently bought this cello and looking for more info about origin and date. The luthier that I bought it from believed it to be Mirecourt, roughly 1880, but I am not sure, may be German. Varnish is a bit more dark red than these photos show. Strad label and 1897 repair marking. 

Thanks for your insights.

ScrollTreble.jpg

ScrollFront.jpg

ScrollBass.jpg

ScrollBack.jpg

Pebgox.jpg

Neck.jpg

Label.jpg

CornerLeft.jpg

BoutRight.jpg

Back.jpg

BoutLeft.jpg

Front.jpg

Welcome to MN!

A typical Markneukirchen/Schönbach cello.  Label is typical pre-1891 (later would have "Germany" or "Made in Germany"), unusually distinguished (if that is the word) by having a notional making date 2 years after Strad had died.  :lol:

I already know from your Facebook post that it has a "Very powerful sound".  :)

On 7/31/2020 at 4:27 AM, Violadamore said:

Welcome to MN!

A typical Markneukirchen/Schönbach cello.  Label is typical pre-1891 (later would have "Germany" or "Made in Germany"), unusually distinguished (if that is the word) by having a notional making date 2 years after Strad had died.  :lol:

I already know from your Facebook post that it has a "Very powerful sound".  :)

Thank you, @Violadamore!  Was hoping for French, the luthier I bought it from believed it to be so but I knew to come here to get the real low-down :).  I have not come across a German instrument from that time with such red varnish! Any idea of the value? I would imagine they are somewhat more desirable than the post-1900 Markies(?), and this one has been regrad. Very resonant.

Yes I noticed something was wrong with the label when I tried to research what instrument Stradivari built in 1739.. :wacko::lol:

Red.jpg

3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Next to nothing, due to past damage and bodged repair work

Yikes. Thanks for the insight, Jacob. While I have your attention, what are your thoughts on this cello?  Labeled Laberte, but I am so weary of Chinese copies. Sorry the pictures are not much to go off. Does it look right from what you can see?

Scroll.jpg

LaberteMaybe.jpg

Laberte Maybe.jpg

Side.jpg