Maestronet Forums

Mondomusica finally canceled

Michael K.

• 7 months later...

I'm pleased to see mondomusica have stated an intention to hold mondomusica in September. It's an event I really look forward to and I hope to share a few too many beverages with fellow makers - at the usual spot just across from the cathedral....I'll be the man sipping two negronis, should anyone want to say hello.

On a more serious note I contacted the organisers and said that I would not be able to attending if vaccine passports were required. I'm not against vaccines but I am in favour of freedom of choice,  freedom to travel, freedom from discrimination etc. Some of you may agree or disagree and feel it a worthwhile exercise to contact the organisers to state your views. 

9 hours ago, Martin McClean said:

On a more serious note I contacted the organisers and said that I would not be able to attending if vaccine passports were required. I'm not against vaccines but I am in favour of freedom of choice,  freedom to travel, freedom from discrimination etc.

And other potential attendees may want "freedom" from what they consider to be increased or unnecessary health risks. Some people may decide not to attend, whichever path the organizers choose. I'm pretty sure which path would expose the organizers to lower liability risk though, at least under the US tort system.

3 hours ago, Martin McClean said:

Does the US tort system already legislate for vaccine status?

In the US, the tort system and the legislative system are somewhat different things, with different set of rules, and differing potential rewards and penalties. Which is to say that I don't quite understand your question.

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

I'm pretty sure which path would expose the organizers to lower liability risk though, at least under the US tort system.

I'm asking you to explain this statement.....you seem to be saying that an organiser's degree of liability would depend on the vaccine status of attendees?

17 minutes ago, Martin McClean said:

I'm asking you to explain this statement.....you seem to be saying that an organiser's degree of liability would depend on the vaccine status of attendees?

It certainly could! And the organizer's insurance company might have a lot more to say about it than the organizers. An insurers assessment of risk (whether accurate or not), and what needs to be paid to the insurance company to take on that risk, can make or break something.

2 hours ago, Martin McClean said:

So insurance contracts currently exist which demand that event attendees are vaccinated?

I am not personally familiar with any which specifically demand that yet, probably since covid data collection has only been going on for about a year now. But insurance rates always rely on some sort of risk assessment, unless it has been disallowed by law.

Dude, I am a "freedom" guy too. But it gets much more challenging when one tries to sort out the pluses and minuses of having a park across the street which is mostly populated by drug dealers, prostitutes, and pimps. One could argue that they have a right to be there, and one could also argue that the family living across the street has a right to go there with their young-uns, without a high threat level to their safety, or to the values the parents are trying to teach.

If I were organizing a large event, especially in a pandemic climate, I would be catering to the concept of safety for the majority.

I'd rather increase potential attendance by having a 'vaccine passport' that caters to that majority, than decrease potential attendance by catering to the relatively few who don't agree.

The vendors and sponsors would likely prefer a "safe" venue as well.

Public events are rarely truly open to all regardless. Can't afford to get there? Can't afford admission? Don't want to wear clothes? Guess you won't be attending...^_^

22 hours ago, Rue said:

If I were organizing a large event, especially in a pandemic climate, I would be catering to the concept of safety for the majority.

I'd rather increase potential attendance by having a 'vaccine passport' that caters to that majority, than decrease potential attendance by catering to the relatively few who don't agree.

The vendors and sponsors would likely prefer a "safe" venue as well.

Public events are rarely truly open to all regardless. Can't afford to get there? Can't afford admission? Don't want to wear clothes? Guess you won't be attending...^_^

I'm not sure resorting to impoverished nudists strengthens either your argument or your claim to speak for the various majorities mentioned....

7 hours ago, Martin McClean said:

I'm not sure resorting to impoverished nudists strengthens either your argument or your claim to speak for the various majorities mentioned....

Your "freedom" to infect people (or expose yourself to greater risk) should not impinge on event organizers' wishes to keep the majority of the attendees safe(r). As I am sure you know, your reductionist arguements are mere bagatelles. Rue was just giving a sort of Hobson's choice, which I am also sure you deliberately misconstrued. Legally, in the US, public health policy may dictate restrictions - even modifying within reason certain religious practices. Nevertheless, it is looking increasingly like the EU will ask for some sort of vaccine passport, to their credit. 

2 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

Your "freedom" to infect people (or expose yourself to greater risk) should not impinge on event organizers' wishes to keep the majority of the attendees safe(r). As I am sure you know, your reductionist arguements are mere bagatelles. Rue was just giving a sort of Hobson's choice, which I am also sure you deliberately misconstrued. Legally, in the US, public health policy may dictate restrictions - even modifying within reason certain religious practices. Nevertheless, it is looking increasingly like the EU will ask for some sort of vaccine passport, to their credit. 

Really? It's an enormously complex issue. Reducing it to some simplicity of wanting to infect others or take risks is risible, claiming it can be reduced down to a hobsons choice doesn't stand up to any scrutiny either

I'll leave it at that  I didn't make any comment on what choice I would make, or what choice anyone else should make, quite the opposite- as my first post clearly shows. 

On 3/17/2021 at 6:07 PM, Martin McClean said:

So insurance contracts currently exist which demand that event attendees are vaccinated?

There are precedents requiring specific certifications for participating in certain activities.  A court could interpret the Covid-19 situation as analogous.  Remember that liability insurance is purchased to reduce loss to lawsuits, and that people sue each other for anything.   The insurance companies, avoiding payouts, sometimes impose all manner of strange conditions on a policy, especially custom-written policies for public events.  :)

Martin, about 20 years ago, I made some prototypes of a humidifier and dehumidifier controller. It worked well, better than anything else available at that time for the target application. But that's as far as things got, for one simple reason: The cost of liability insurance for a plug-in electrical device which didn't already have a public-use safety track record was much higher than I thought I could ever recover from sales.

3 hours ago, Violadamore said:

There are precedents requiring specific certifications for participating in certain activities.  A court could interpret the Covid-19 situation as analogous.  Remember that liability insurance is purchased to reduce loss to lawsuits, and that people sue each other for anything.   The insurance companies, avoiding payouts, sometimes impose all manner of strange conditions on a policy, especially custom-written policies for public events.  :)

I suppose the logical outcome of this position is that we'll all have to demand papers from musicians before allowing them into our workshops?

16 hours ago, Martin McClean said:

I suppose the logical outcome of this position is that we'll all have to demand papers from musicians before allowing them into our workshops?

Any car mechanic I have ever visited in the last 15 years or so have signs stating "No customers in shop area" beause of "insurance regulations."