Sign in to follow this  
uncle duke

memory of past learned music

Is it normal to just flatout not remember how previous learned music was played?  I'd like to say the following pieces were like second nature at one time.  Recently La Catedral came back memory wise but the piece called Capricho Arabe presented itself with difficulty for me memory wise.  I won't mention Asturias - haven't got to it yet.

Took about eight days to get Capricho going again including today.  I realize while I was sawing away with violin music the past few years here with Maestronet made me better reading wise.  But getting back to guitar with no recollection of note/sound memory of past times make me think I should ask the question - is not remembering normal?  I stayed away from classical guitar for about five years.

Perlman, you warned me.  Not quite ruined but close.  

Hmm, reminds me of the time I went to a local concert with a VERY talented young pianist, who played some amazingly difficult pieces.  About an hours worth of memorized pieces, that brought tears to the eye, it was so beautifully executed.  But in discussion at the end of the concert one of the pupils from our school asked if she could play the Moonlight Sonata.  She could play the first few bars, that was it.  Hadn't played it in years she said, but one must believe she did at one point play it well by heart.  I chalked it up to memory overload, but I remember being somewhat surprised.

The human mind has an amazing capacity for memory, but it is limited.

The stuff I learned when I was young and stuff I've played many times, that tends to stick.

But, yeah, orchestra parts that I only practice for a few weeks and then don't play again for 10 years, oftentimes I'll have zero recollection when they turn up again.  I'll see my handwriting in a part, know that I must have played it...

On 7/28/2020 at 3:58 AM, uncle duke said:

Is it normal to just flatout not remember how previous learned music was played?  I'd like to say the following pieces were like second nature at one time.  Recently La Catedral came back memory wise but the piece called Capricho Arabe presented itself with difficulty for me memory wise.  I won't mention Asturias - haven't got to it yet.

Took about eight days to get Capricho going again including today.  I realize while I was sawing away with violin music the past few years here with Maestronet made me better reading wise.  But getting back to guitar with no recollection of note/sound memory of past times make me think I should ask the question - is not remembering normal?  I stayed away from classical guitar for about five years.

Perlman, you warned me.  Not quite ruined but close.  

You are not alone:).  I thought Capricho Arabe was completely hard-wired until I opened a guitar case a couple of months back.  The other thing I found when browsing through my guitar music is that I find a date and fingerings, have no recollection of playing the piece, and am amazed that I could have played it.

8 hours ago, Stephen Fine said:

The stuff I learned when I was young and stuff I've played many times, that tends to stick.

Yes, but I usually find I play it just as badly now as I did then

8 hours ago, Stephen Fine said:

But, yeah, orchestra parts that I only practice for a few weeks and then don't play again for 10 years, oftentimes I'll have zero recollection when they turn up again.  I'll see my handwriting in a part, know that I must have played it...

That, on the other hand, isn't my experience with chamber music that does tend to leave an impression that lasts 10, 20, even 40 years. Not so much the fingering but I find I'm a step ahead when it comes to the articulation, phrasing, ensemble etc. The same is clearly true of my long-term quartet partners - after rattling through a piece that we haven't touched in yonks we often look at each in wide-eyed surprise

I would say no in general. Some question

your approx age?

are you having any other cognitive issues that seem off?or not in character of your "normal" self

are you having any memory issues with other things? Challenge yourself by going over in your mind other things from the past such as recalling a book you read and the basic plots and characters 

the concern of course is pre indicators of a more serious issue. 

pre mature cognitive decline is becoming more and more common for reasons that are not clear,although there are many theories, there is no solid evidence or particular specific cause

Just like the MASSIVE DROP in sperm counts among males, it is happening, "we" don't know why however. 

Be it some common industrial product or substance,some evil plot, or a genetic defect via population increases , it'snot known, but one thing is for sure, the numbers of people dealing with the issue are way up and the onset of the symptoms is way down whereas people in their 40's in some cases are showing pre dementia symptoms.

In the UK right now it is quickly rising as one of the number one killers.

So if anything seems even a little off I suggest a visit to your primary doctor in order to get referred to a neurologist for MRI and cognitive testing.

Catching these things early can have a dramatic effect on the rate of decline 

Another question I would ask, do you smoke or use any nicotine products?

and or if you did , did you quit using them anytome in the recent past.

The WAR against nicotine may in fact have had a negative effect in that it is known that nicotine dramatically helps preserve/improve cognitive function, and that by reducing its use in society we now have people living longer than they would have, quite simply the cigarettes that would have made them die younger from cancer, lung/heart disease was at the same time preserving their brain function while they were alive...

So smoke and die younger with all your marbles, or quit smoking and live out the last 10 years of your life a vegetable

On 7/28/2020 at 3:22 PM, violinsRus said:

I chalked it up to memory overload, but I remember being somewhat surprised.

The human mind has an amazing capacity for memory, but it is limited.

On 7/28/2020 at 4:52 PM, Stephen Fine said:

16 hours ago, Muswell said:

You are not alone:).  I thought Capricho Arabe was completely hard-wired until I opened a guitar case a couple of months back.  The other thing I found when browsing through my guitar music is that I find a date and fingerings, have no recollection of playing the piece, and am amazed that I could have played it.

6 hours ago, jezzupe said:

I would say no in general. Some question

your approx age?

are you having any other cognitive issues that seem off?or not in character of your "normal" self

are you having any memory issues with other things?  characters 

pre mature cognitive decline is becoming more and more common for reasons that are not clear,although there are many theories, there is no solid evidence or particular specific cause.

but one thing is for sure, the numbers of people dealing with the issue are way up and the onset of the symptoms is way down whereas people in their 40's in some cases are showing pre dementia symptoms.

Another question I would ask, do you smoke or use any nicotine products?

So smoke and die younger with all your marbles, or quit smoking and live out the last 10 years of your life a vegetable

It appears some forgetting is normal with music, good.  I more or less just flatout forgot how that piece of music was played by me then.  It is memorized now though not polished.   

Free psychology session with jezzupe - I'm up for that.

54 years of age.

I've always had a problem remembering faces and have had to apologize to some and mention if you need anything or help find me but I'm sorry, I don't remember you.  I've just chalked that up as selfishness on my part for not remembering in the first place.

Cognitive decline was the reason for posting the question.  I wasn't sure if anything was wrong or not.  Why can't I remember these notes on paper?  Then afterward I thought, a violinist/violist always has a chart of music to look at while playing - maybe the wrong forum but at the least the musicians are better, may as well see what happens reply wise.

I do still smoke.  I like to think my motor still runs high these days and smoking makes the day go by easier???  An off the cuff reply by me as usual.

That one particular piece of music Capricho Arabe is one where I remember from before, about 6-7 years ago, the first few measures of pg 1 because it is elementary and corny sounding to me - hard to forget apparently.  The rest of the first three pages in D minor/f totally forgotten position and soundwise,  other than the one measure that goes above the 12th fret momentarily.  I do recollect memory wise pg. 4 - switches to D major mostly and stays in 7th position for easy melody playing position wise - that I somewhat remember. 

I'm getting old but still glad I was born to see all of this.

Hey Uncle Duke,,

How is Kansas,, this year is great here, (Idaho) just got over the plague.

Do I forget old tunes I've learned, you bet!

There's one Chet Atkins tune I used to do, sort of Jerry Reed style bass, rhythm, melody, finger picking tune that I can't seem to recall that is making me absolutely crazy.

I have searched for and listened to every album that I could find, spent way too much time looking, it was a bit of an obsession for a while,, but can't seem to locate it.

It probably came out from before 1982 sometime. As kids we used to play everything, Beatles, steppenwolf, Cream, King Crimson, Yes, Doobies,, whatever, then I stopped for a while ended up bedridden for a couple of months, so you do what musicians do I played on my back, learned some real cool stuff,,got it down fluently,,really good,, classical Bach, Chet, learned 5 string banjo, started playing the fiddle. Then didn't have time when I got well, so didn't play guitar seriously for 30 years, now I'm at it again,,,,I've got a teen-aged boy that I'd like to show it to,,,,, 

But I can't remember that Chet song,,, I'm still on the lookout though, where did it go?

It was on an LP my wife brought home from the library for me.

9 hours ago, Evan Smith said:

How is Kansas,, this year is great here, (Idaho) just got over the plague.

Do I forget old tunes I've learned, you bet!

But I can't remember that Chet song,,, I'm still on the lookout though, where did it go?

Plague wise people were dropping left and right during March and April.  I live a mile away from where the virus first showed up here in K.C. on the Ks side.  Nurses couldn't figure out how to stop the dying of patients - akin to a mother rabbit losing her litter one at a time on a daily basis.   I have O- blood, less likely to be infected but can still carry the virus.

With a situation like you're going through with the searching I write it down so that I won't forget what I'm looking for.  That seems to work better than walking out to where I think something should be at but after a bit of time searching the mind wonders/goes blank and what was being searched for is soon forgotten about.  But if I write it down...........   

14 hours ago, uncle duke said:

It appears some forgetting is normal with music, good.  I more or less just flatout forgot how that piece of music was played by me then.  It is memorized now though not polished.   

Free psychology session with jezzupe - I'm up for that.

54 years of age.

I've always had a problem remembering faces and have had to apologize to some and mention if you need anything or help find me but I'm sorry, I don't remember you.  I've just chalked that up as selfishness on my part for not remembering in the first place.

Cognitive decline was the reason for posting the question.  I wasn't sure if anything was wrong or not.  Why can't I remember these notes on paper?  Then afterward I thought, a violinist/violist always has a chart of music to look at while playing - maybe the wrong forum but at the least the musicians are better, may as well see what happens reply wise.

I do still smoke.  I like to think my motor still runs high these days and smoking makes the day go by easier???  An off the cuff reply by me as usual.

That one particular piece of music Capricho Arabe is one where I remember from before, about 6-7 years ago, the first few measures of pg 1 because it is elementary and corny sounding to me - hard to forget apparently.  The rest of the first three pages in D minor/f totally forgotten position and soundwise,  other than the one measure that goes above the 12th fret momentarily.  I do recollect memory wise pg. 4 - switches to D major mostly and stays in 7th position for easy melody playing position wise - that I somewhat remember. 

I'm getting old but still glad I was born to see all of this.

I was asking if you quit recently as many people who do will notice a "Fog" start to settle in as the nicotine goes away. 

As a person who transitioned vaping I highly suggest it as an alternate to smoking. There is massive amounts of false science and lies about vaping and nicotine use.

The first being "vape juice is bad", well maybe some of it is, but not mine because I make it. It consists of vegetable glycerin and tobacco that I grow and cure myself.So if you can make a cup of tea, you can make your own juice

I didn't think I would have liked it, but was able to transition immediately over and now would say that I like vaping much better than smoking in that it is so much less harsh on your lungs, as in the difference of standing over a pot of boiling water and inhaling the steam, vs , standing over a pile of burning leaves and inhaling the smoke, and you can really customize the amount of nicotine levels too.

I like to think that vaping came along at just the right time for me, it has dramatically improved the way I feel related to lung health and capacity, with the elimination of any coughing

regarding your memory, I would also look into your family history and see if there are any neurological issues related to cognitive decline that is above average.

Assuming you have health ins. Don't hesitate to speak with a doctor about such things, like cancer, early detection can make a big difference, I do suggest lots of water and perhaps the addition of Bacopa tea{water hysop} a small leafed minty like plant.Regular consumption has been shown to help with memory loss.

I'm now in my 5th year of helping someone I know deal with this, there really is nothing worse than watching someone you know slowly slip away 

I would just suggest you keep an eye on yourself and ask friends and family to keep track of your memory and to have them tell you if they are noticing obtuse amounts of forgetfulness, others are often better judges at noticing such things than we are ourselves. 

On 7/29/2020 at 9:54 PM, Evan Smith said:

I've got LP Guitar Genius/Camden {probably non 1958) and LP Music from Nashville My Hometown by Atkins.   Never was a Chet Atkins fan though.

I am not a die hard Chet fan,,, if a fan at all, though he was good, that song was just tricky and catchy,,, and fun to play,,, most of his stuff is quite boring.

Are there any finger style picking on them,, seems like a C,, and a lot of B7 ish of Bd kind of chords with a lot of bass movement in first position.

I looked on amazon and I don't recognize the covers to those you have,,,,and I can't find any demos to the songs on those albums, I've spent hours listening to song demos of his, never found The One.

I though I had found the album by the cover memory before,,, but the song is not there,

I am most certainly confused, but it was chet and I will remember the song. It's right there below the surface,,, almost there,,, but?

Of course you know exactly what I mean.