Violin for my daughter

Syncopated

Agree, not French, probably cheap German c. 1930, with cheap dyed pear wood fingerboard and fittings. There's lots better stuff out there, even decent grade new Chinese. The critical thing for a student is good set up, but that presumes that the violin is worth setting up, or even can be set up correctly.

agreed w/ all of the above.  needs work and was not great to start with.  note fingerboard isn't real ebony.  note scroll is very crude, basically uncompleted. 

best deal for a young starter player can be to rent.   i've seen some really nice players as rentals (nice because they hope to sell them to the renters).  low initial outlay, likely well set up and good quality, depending on rentee of course

6 hours ago, Syncopated said:

PhilipKT, DwightBrown, Deans, FiddleDoug, Stringcheese & Bill Merkel

thank you so much for your input.  I was about to pay £1,100 for this.  The lady said it was her great great grandfather’s...

Again, many thanks

Sync

Wow you had a lucky escape, it couldn't have been worth more than about £50-80 max.

This new one looks a bit better but still very expensive to me.

5 hours ago, Syncopated said:

Dear All

This looks better...being offered at £1150

I would value your opinions once more.

Many thanks 

Sync

No, this is not better. Go to a violin shop, please! As a violin teacher with 40+ years of experience, I beseech you, please don't oblige your poor daughter to play on junkshop dregs like this!

15 minutes ago, Rue said:

I don't know about that...it seems every time I mention a price range to anyone...about anything...they glom onto the highest number in the range...and then show me stuff over that...<_<

Then quote them half.  Work out your own details, but to get a working violin (at any price) contact a large (brick and mortar) shop is my best general advice

5 hours ago, Syncopated said:

....very confusing and difficult to tell what is good and what is not....

this is an amazing forum

If you're in the UK, contact Martin Swan, he's very approachable,  https://www.martinswanviolins.com/

He's a member here.   

IMHO, if you aren't an expert at identifying trade violins, and don't do your own repairs, you'll only find grief on eBay.   Go to a shop, and start with  the dealers who post here.  :)

I cannot refute anything that has been said. I will add that regardless of what you buy for your daughter, eventually she’ll want To step up. Having a relationship with a dealer makes it more likely that you will get better and consistent guidance.

There’s a lot to learn, and then there’s the bows.

One of my students just bought a very nice cello after more than a year of serious looking, and now he is pestering his mother to cough up for a nice bow.

Every good student gets to that point And an honest dealer will be a tremendous benefit. And honestly, the dealer himself will take a bit of pride in the success of your daughter, so there is a reward in it for him that goes beyond mere profit.

On 7/29/2020 at 5:45 PM, Shelbow said:

@Syncopated Is your daughter just starting violin or has she been playing before and now just moving up to a full size instrument?

Where in the UK are you based? It might be better to try some out at a shop if you can.

Shelbow

She is Grade 6 now and has worked her way up from 1/2 size...

Live in Godalming 

Thanks

On 7/29/2020 at 5:46 PM, Michael Appleman said:

No, this is not better. Go to a violin shop, please! As a violin teacher with 40+ years of experience, I beseech you, please don't oblige your poor daughter to play on junkshop dregs like this!

On 7/29/2020 at 5:59 PM, Rue said:

Yes.  I agree with Michael - this is not a better option.

What level is your daughter playing the violin at?

On 7/29/2020 at 5:59 PM, avandesande said:

A good quality Chinese/Romanian violin of similar price will be miles ahead of what you are looking at.

On 7/29/2020 at 6:11 PM, Bill Merkel said:

This one is pretty much the same.  Call up a large violin shop in a city and tell them what you're willing to spend and have them send you something on trial.  That or ask about rental, like I mentioned.

On 7/29/2020 at 6:46 PM, Violadamore said:

If you're in the UK, contact Martin Swan, he's very approachable,  https://www.martinswanviolins.com/

He's a member here.   

IMHO, if you aren't an expert at identifying trade violins, and don't do your own repairs, you'll only find grief on eBay.   Go to a shop, and start with  the dealers who post here.  :)

On 7/30/2020 at 1:26 AM, nathan slobodkin said:

As a beginner buyer you should be looking for a reputable shop rather than trying to judge violins for your self. Let them know who is going to play it and what experience they have and the sales people can help you.

17 hours ago, Swing Monkey 1 said:

Another vote for Martin Swan.  Great customer service and knowledgeable.

16 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I cannot refute anything that has been said. I will add that regardless of what you buy for your daughter, eventually she’ll want To step up. Having a relationship with a dealer makes it more likely that you will get better and consistent guidance.

There’s a lot to learn, and then there’s the bows.

One of my students just bought a very nice cello after more than a year of serious looking, and now he is pestering his mother to cough up for a nice bow.

Every good student gets to that point And an honest dealer will be a tremendous benefit. And honestly, the dealer himself will take a bit of pride in the success of your daughter, so there is a reward in it for him that goes beyond mere profit.

Thank you all so very much for your valued input.

i took your advice and spoke to a well established dealer who has over 30years experience purely in French violins.

Bought a beautiful Laberte Mirecourt violin & vintage bow.

As you all said, this was definitely the way to go.  A dealer with an international client base has a lot to lose....

I’m pleased & my daughter is very pleased.

Once again, thank you all from the bottom of my heart.  It’s been an instructive & valuable experience.

Syncopated