Sign in to follow this  
geoff1954

Recording and 'overdubbing'. Help please.

Hi. I simply want to record myself playing the violin and then add myself playing the cello, and maybe other violin parts as well. I have a decent microphone which connects to my laptop. When I have looked into this in the past I've been put off with complications. I gather I need to download a DAW. But I've found these to be immensely complicated. I just need to hear my previous track (through headphones) while 'laying down' (is that the right term?) another track. 

Can anyone recommend a DAW which is simple enough for my stage of senility? Or is there another way of doing it? 

I "discovered" Audacity (free to download) 20 years ago and have been using it constantly into my dotage (I shrink from calling myself "matesic1950"). Yes, it is complicated but quite easy to get started on. You can pick up the bells and whistles by degrees.

I believe that, in this case, Audacity could be the solution.

If the new recorded tracks, over another, have a little latency, you can even compensate by hand, moving tracks. Just give yourself a bit of "sync code" system when recording. The same way of the "ciak" when people make movies.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:54 AM, matesic said:

I "discovered" Audacity (free to download) 20 years ago and have been using it constantly into my dotage (I shrink from calling myself "matesic1950"). Yes, it is complicated but quite easy to get started on. You can pick up the bells and whistles by degrees.

I too use Audacity.  There is a wiki help system to learn how to use Audacity.

P.S.  I shrink from calling myself Gowan1940 (!) but perhaps knowing that someone at my age can learn how to use Audacity might encourage you.