Upcoming Musical Instrument Auctions WORLDWIDE (January-December 2021)

18 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Agree that EU exporters or professional buyers aren’t in comparatively lesser difficulties, except the not insignificant growth of annoying paperwork.

I don't think this is correct. If you are an EU VAT registered business and you buy an instrument from the UK you will need to pay (and not reclaim) import VAT if you want to sell on the margin scheme. If you do reclaim the import duty then you must charge your customer VAT. I know the maths varies from item to item but in most cases this means a higher price for the buyer and more tax going to your government instead of going back into your business.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an interesting article in the newspaper from a prominent UK politician, who indicated it would take around 50 years, to start seeing any savings as a result of brexit.

I wonder if those who voted for it, knew they would not see any of these savings within their own lifetime?

I’m not so well informed about the British VAT, but if margin scheme is the same what we call Differenzbesteuerung (official translation), I’m paying anyway only VAT for my profit on used goods, no matter if they include tax or don’t. Maybe this is different in the UK?

3 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

I wonder if those who voted for it, knew they would not see any of these savings within their own lifetime?

As I understood the matter, Brexit wasn’t meant to save anything, just the opposite. In our TV I heard a Leaver say “Maybe we will have no money, but it will be our own.”:wacko:

42 minutes ago, Blank face said:

I’m not so well informed about the British VAT, but if margin scheme is the same what we call Differenzbesteuerung (official translation), I’m paying anyway only VAT for my profit on used goods, no matter if they include tax or don’t. Maybe this is different in the UK?

You should read §25 and §15 UStG. It´s as Martin says also in the EU, otherwise you could perhaps convince my tax accountant :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

My sister is a bellyaching remoaner too. She can whinge on all evening, so that one wishes she had an off switch. I told her she should be glad that Britain is a proper country again, and she all but choked

If not your sister at least the fishes are happier now since they are British now. (According Rees-Mogg)

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

As Match says ... 

If you pay the import VAT then you can sell according to Differenzbesteuerung. If you reclaim the import VAT, then you can't use this scheme and must charge your customers VAT.

Far be it from me to remoan (!) but I would at least like the UK to align with the EU with regard to the sale of second hand goods, since any other option (such as what we have now) is perverse and ridiculously complex. And when you start to read the small print governing UK - Northern Ireland transactions, you have to wonder what on earth kind of drugs those negociators were smoking.

35 minutes ago, match said:

You should read §25 and §15 UStG. It´s as Martin says also in the EU, otherwise you could perhaps convince my tax accountant :rolleyes:

I usually don’t read what my accountant is calculating, just sign it :rolleyes:, but you’re right. I was just exporting to and not importing from third party countries. So this would most probably result in higher tax rates also in the EU for goods imported from the UK.

What’s still valid is the fact, that UK violin dealers or auctions might be more depend from the EU market than the other way round.

Oh yes you are right, the economy could depend a little bit more from the EU , but if anyone can solve this problem, it will be the Brits themselves with their pleasant and smart style of business and their traditional experience in this industry. As Jacob said it works against all odds. I look forward to the next years. As an EU seller you have now an advantage with the the new rules since sales tax is no longer due in a third country, that could it make more interesting to sell or consign in the UK if you manage the paperwork to get your stuff into the country, which on the other hand is an advantage for the British auction houses.

14 hours ago, match said:

Oh yes you are right, the economy could depend a little bit more from the EU , but if anyone can solve this problem, it will be the Brits themselves with their pleasant and smart style of business and their traditional experience in this industry. As Jacob said it works against all odds. I look forward to the next years. As an EU seller you have now an advantage with the the new rules since sales tax is no longer due in a third country, that could it make more interesting to sell or consign in the UK if you manage the paperwork to get your stuff into the country, which on the other hand is an advantage for the British auction houses.

Should you have a copy of Geigengeschichten by Albert Beer, I think you ought to read the passage on “Dazio”, starting on page 133 (in my copy anyway). Might be a source of inspiration:)

9 hours ago, match said:

............Boris has threatened before to use the navy:ph34r:

Militarily, or more in line with its "traditions" as given by Churchill?  :ph34r:  :lol:

On 1/22/2021 at 5:58 PM, Shelbow said:

Yeah it will be a quiet year. I presume that a lot of European buyers will be put off from buying from the UK at the moment given the additional charges they will face.

Ingles just sent an e-mail saying they’re moving the March auction to June and that other auction houses are doing the same. While COVID might not be totally gone by June I think this is still better than March. Hopefully, we’ll see some better instruments then! 

3 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Maybe so, but why do they have to be from auction? Most of the best cellos on the market are probably for sale right now in shops.

Because it's exciting to get caught in a bidding war :D

15 minutes ago, twcellist said:

Ingles just sent an e-mail saying they’re moving the March auction to June and that other auction houses are doing the same. While COVID might not be totally gone by June I think this is still better than March. Hopefully, we’ll see some better instruments then! 

Thanks for the info. Yes I'm not surprised they are moving it. Also the Amber violins auction seems to have temporarily disappeared, maybe that is just a technical issue.