Maestronet Forums

Upcoming Musical Instrument Auctions WORLDWIDE (January-December 2021)- List on first page

Shelbow

8 minutes ago, Shelbow said:

Some of the recent Bromptons auctions have had similarly poor outcomes, I'm not sure it is an entirely new issue for them.

Oops! My mistake. The bidding is still open - the auction page wasn't refreshing in my browser, and it looked like the bidding had ended. So hopefully they will do well. Sorry @Shelbow.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Oops! My mistake. The bidding is still open - the auction page wasn't refreshing in my browser, and it looked like the bidding had ended. So hopefully they will do well. Sorry @Shelbow.

The bidding had finished but it has reopened again for lots that didn't sell the first time. Tarisio and Bromptons usually do this. Bromptons usually sell a few more things from the after sale but you are correct to point out that recently they have not been doing so well. Having said that the Guarneri sold for £460k so they are doing ok.

What is interesting is that someone bid £360k on the Guadagnini but it didn't reach the reserve which I think was £400k.

Now the bidding is open again with a starting bid of £320K

I believe it was a combination of two things that contributed to a poor outcome. The estimates were a little unrealistic for a few instruments. For example,  a 1962 Roth with a  soundpost crack at 2500-4000 and a Carletti at 18000 was in my opinion a bit high. Secondly, most bows had serious condition issues along with good name violins like WE Hill with a badly done soundpost repair.

6 minutes ago, Yogic said:

I believe it was a combination of two things that contributed to a poor outcome. 

I wonder what your definition is of a poor outcome.

They sold a Joseph Filius, a Nicola Bergonzi, A Guadagnini (at aftersale), a Pressenda and a couple of other 6 figure items. 

1 minute ago, martin swan said:

I wonder what your definition is of a poor outcome.

They sold a Joseph Filius, a Nicola Bergonzi, A Guadagnini (at aftersale), a Pressenda and a couple of other 6 figure items. 

Was responding to George and Shelbow who felt the outcome was not good

Yes the big ticket items did well and that will clearly bring in the profit, but it is also unfortunate for them that a large amount of lots went unsold first time around. We will have to see what happens in the after sale.

Ingles and Hayday made some very high end sales and also managed to sell the majority of their lots, although it is true that they also had a number of higher items that did not sell.

Will the Guadagnini actually sell though? It hasn't reached the reserve yet as far as I can tell.

The bidding was at £360k in the sale and it didn't meet the reserve at that point.

On 6/16/2021 at 3:17 PM, Delabo said:

Lot 29 looks interesting. A viola by someone called Burgess. :)

I just found out about that a couple of days ago. Interesting history on that 16" viola, from the Tarisio "Auction Highlights" section, 5th item down:

"This viola was made by David Burgess in 1982, during his prime years of winning competitions, and before he was made hors concours by most of them. It was purchased by Maurice Riley, the viola and violist scholar and author of the two volumes, The History of the Viola. Riley knew Burgess well and, according to Riley’s son, this instrument was purchased directly from the maker. The handsome flamed maple back, the confident and informed Stradivari model, and the richly vibrant and un-antiqued varnish show off the skills of one of the most revered contemporary makers whose work rarely appears at auction."

https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/cozio-carteggio/highlights-from-the-new-york-july-auction/?l=yes

Yes, Maurice Riley purchased that viola directly from me.

42 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Doesn't he like it any more?:D

If Maurice W Riley the musician and author is still with us I guess he must be very old now.

He does mention David Burgess in the book "The history of the viola" on page 3.  Its available to read for free at internet archive, David gets a mention on page 305 along with two other up and coming makers "David Wiebe and  Otto Schenk". They are there called "three young American luthiers". Sounds a bit  like the "three musketeers" or even better " The three Amigos". (Great film). :D

https://archive.org/details/historyofviola01rile/page/304/mode/2up

31 minutes ago, Delabo said:

If Maurice W Riley the musician and author is still with us I guess he must be very old now.

He does mention David Burgess in the book "The history of the viola" on page 3.  Its available to read for free at internet archive, David gets a mention on page 305 along with two other up and coming makers "David Wiebe and  Otto Schenk". They are there called "three young American luthiers". Sounds a bit  like the "three musketeers" or even better " The three Amigos". (Great film). :D

https://archive.org/details/historyofviola01rile/page/304/mode/2up

Otto Schenk is actually Swiss, but was working in the US at the time. He currently has a shop in Bern.

David Weibe's shop is in Woodstock, NY.

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Most major dealers and appraisers seem to be able to recognize them without a problem.

I meant to confirm that the owner had purchased it directly from you.

6 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

They did leave a message middle of the week asking me to call them.

Ah ok this all makes sense then, I was wondering why they wouldn't have just called you :lol:

On 6/18/2021 at 4:29 AM, David Burgess said:

I just found out about that a couple of days ago. Interesting history on that 16" viola, from the Tarisio "Auction Highlights" section, 5th item down:

"This viola was made by David Burgess in 1982, during his prime years of winning competitions, and before he was made hors concours by most of them. It was purchased by Maurice Riley, the viola and violist scholar and author of the two volumes, The History of the Viola. Riley knew Burgess well and, according to Riley’s son, this instrument was purchased directly from the maker. The handsome flamed maple back, the confident and informed Stradivari model, and the richly vibrant and un-antiqued varnish show off the skills of one of the most revered contemporary makers whose work rarely appears at auction."

https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/cozio-carteggio/highlights-from-the-new-york-july-auction/?l=yes

Yes, Maurice Riley purchased that viola directly from me.

:)