Upcoming Musical Instrument Auctions WORLDWIDE (January-December 2021)- List on first page

5 hours ago, Yogic said:

Even if I am the 

Even if I am the only bidder, I will still pay to Amati more than what I would have paid to JP Guivier for buying the same instrument from their website. 5000 bid +1100 commission. 

This tells us that the excitement of "winning" an item at auction is worth £100.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yogic, I haven't met an auctioneer who just took an instrument. They are usually consigned. In this case, the consignor seems to have margin for manoevre downwords. For what reasons ever. Difficult times for all businesses. You could just as well complain about his shop offer beeing to high. To me the starting bid doesn't seem too high at all. Don't understand your problem. Free economy?  

On 1/18/2021 at 8:29 AM, jamesbuchanan said:

Good Afternoon Mr. Twcellist - nobody regrets the absence more than I, but you can probably guess why it is hard to find good cellos in the current climate.

My experience is that it is much harder to do any business at all during Lockdown V3. We managed to keep spinning along through 2020, but - and with good reason - people are less likely to meet at all now that they know the vaccine is round the corner. 

I am praying that when things clear up then I can leap around the UK like a gazelle, and, then, when things become easier internationally hop on planes, but in the meantime you are definitely looking at a tightening of supply.

Thanks for your reply James. This does make sense given the COVID situation. For my part I'm currently in Taiwan right now where we very much have the virus under control, but I sympathize and am deeply saddened by what's going on with the rest of the world. :( Let's hope the inventory of better instruments picks up as we begin to the turn the corner with the virus!  

Definitely 100%. 

Recently auction prices have seemed to be abit high IMO, but perhaps they might start to fall now. We shall have to see I guess.

I bought some snakewood from Germany the other day, let's see what crazy charges I get when it arrives..............

1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

You may be right, but what makes anything a good buy is the hammer price. If the hammer price is right, then even with additional charges, an instrument or bow is still worth having.

I pity anyone from the EU buying at a UK auction right now. Unless they are VAT registered they will have to pay import VAT on the total value when the thing arrives in the EU - that is if it ever arrives ...

The current state of chaos in shipping companies and couriers is not being reported, but it's an absolute nightmare - things getting lost, abandoned in warehouses, companies failing to understand their own clearance requirements etc.

Good news for you then, and other Scottish/English dealers. You will avoid vat, and be able to collect it.

I'd imagine the majority of dealers will be vat registered anyway, so it's more the musician/private individual buying at auction who would pay the biggest penalty in this situation.
I can understand at this time, shipping is not going smoothly at all. Furthermore, I think the pandemic will play as much, if not more of a role in this, than having the right bits of paper for export.

31 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

I'd imagine the majority of dealers will be vat registered anyway, so it's more the musician/private individual buying at auction who would pay the biggest penalty in this situation.

The problem for VAT registered dealers in the EU is that if they reclaim the import VAT, then they can't sell under the margin scheme and would need to add VAT to the sale price. Same for UK dealers in reverse, buying from the EU.

I'm not aware of any good news and I've been looking hard.

I presume that many UK dealers would usually sell to individuals in the EU on a regularly basis before brexit, I assume this element of business will be severly affected at least for the time being whilst individiuals are subject to import charges.

For many years, if I were to import a violin from, say Tarisio in New York, to Austria, I would have to pay the Zollamt 20% Einführumsatzsteuer (import VAT) or 10% for Antiques over 100 years old. I then subtracted this tax in full from my next VAT bill as “Vorsteuer” i.e. it didn’t cost me anything. I presume that buying in England will now be the same. Players/teachers who tried there hand as dilettante dealers, with predictable results, will now be at a 20% (or 10%) disadvantage, which will serve them right. England has always been a bit of a shambles, that somehow works against all odds anyway, Won’t stop bellyaching remoaners like Martin though

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

For many years, if I were to import a violin from, say Tarisio in New York, to Austria, I would have to pay the Zollamt 20% Einführumsatzsteuer (import VAT) or 10% for Antiques over 100 years old. I then subtracted this tax in full from my next VAT bill as “Vorsteuer” i.e. it didn’t cost me anything. I presume that buying in England will now be the same. 

No, in England it's not now the same. Either you reclaim the import VAT and sell to your client plus VAT, or you pay the import VAT and sell under the margin scheme.

So "bellyaching remoaner" or not doesn't come into it, just someone who has actually read the government guidelines. 

I'm curious to see how all this brexit stuff goes in regards to UK solidarity. I feel this is going to push a Scottish drive for independence again and then Wales and NI may also see further support for their own movements for independence/unity. I was watching some commentary on the NI situation yesterday and the economic situation is pushing a lot of people (more than already do) to support a possible future re-unification with the Republic.

Well that Bromptons sale didn't go too well........... only about 47% of the items actually sold first time around. I assume that bidding will open again on unsold items either later today or tomorrow.

Just now, match said:

And only 17% of the sold lots exceeded the upper estimate, 24% the lower estimate, and the bulk of 59% was sold at the lowest estimate or below. 

Wow nice figures, yes that is really not a good sales result!

From my actual knowledge, the “Schwarze Peter” ( biggest disadvantage) is now in the hand of UK sellers or auction houses who might loose many of their private European customers/consigners for additional charges; therefore the belly of leavers could be in the bigger complications.

Agree that EU exporters or professional buyers aren’t in comparatively lesser difficulties, except the not insignificant growth of annoying paperwork.

• Shelbow changed the title to Upcoming Musical Instrument Auctions WORLDWIDE (January-December 2021)- List on first page