Sign in to follow this  
AT2470

T2 auction buy - Tarasconi

Hi all, curious about your thoughts on a Tarasconi-labeled instrument I picked up in the March auction.  It sounds quite nice, and I bought on spec that it may have been made by his son Mirco (very similar scroll to some of his verified works), but aware that it could be something else.  The varnish is quite nice and build on the heavier side.  Also the smell of the interior is in line with an older instrument - not something of recent vintage.  Thoughts?

901240E0-10A2-4CA2-A4C9-DB1C74A73607.jpeg

9A0DF249-8516-4253-9916-A63C64A307E3.jpeg

870BB35C-76C0-417D-8172-91E84835BA54.jpeg

CD5A596E-04A5-41FE-BFC4-4EFE068564FB.jpeg

69DF8A08-06F0-4288-9068-BBF74ECA2B41.jpeg

ADF5F958-7F2E-4155-8040-3B992A44721B.jpeg

Now that I've begun studying them, I'm distinguishing a tradition that I'd describe as "the usual modern Italian".   They have inherent importance because their sale prices, in comparison to typical fiddles from other areas, trend much higher.  This definitely looks like one to me, in the photos.  Very nice violin.  How does it sound?

That said, pigeonholing them as a class isn't associating them with a particular maker, or ruling out similar violins produced by makers from the Italian diaspora, or even eliminating non-Italian makers who either trained in the tradition or learned to mimic some of the typical characteristics.  Given the amount of money often involved with these violins, the difficulty of sorting wheat from chaff when one turns up without a clear chain of provenance makes things much more worrisome than say, sorting out rustic Brits from Markies, and not something that I plan to get seriously involved in.  :) 

I don't see any relationship to Tarasconi, sorry, or indeed to any of the Milanese makers of this period.

It doesn't look Italian to me - the closest thing I can think of is a violin we have by a maker called Kuzel from Brno, Slovakia circa 1960. It's a quirky Guarneri model very like this. So I wold assume yours is from Eastern Europe, mid 20th century.

Mirco Tarasconi was an even worse maker than his father, but the scrolls are very prettily rounded with small eyes (unlike the father's massive ones), the edgwork is similar to Giuseppe in that it's flat and very wide. Very different on all counts from your violin.

Appreciate the input from you both!  Learning a lot on this site and have really developed a passion for violins over the past 2 years.  

Interestingly I pulled a light out and took a closer look inside and by the neck block was written "Sahm #72".  Also the linings go over the corner blocks.  The blocks look good but the linings are a little rough.

The sound is very even across the ranges - and I would say middle of road across all spectrums: moderate overtones, resonance, and neither too smooth or too coarse.  I like it and will keep it in the collection for a while.  Thanks again!

I've spent a bit of time looking at the photos and must admit that I'm a bit thrown by the terribleness of the purfling, especially on the back, along with the very poorly shaped corners and button.
The other details, while not perfect, are neatly finished and quite at odds with the aforementioned.

Nothing about it says Italian to me, and I'm thinking along the lines that this is a commercial instrument that has been doctored.