Sign in to follow this  
classicalmusic

Any guesses what this violin could be?

Hello everyone,

An old friend of mine has this old violin labeled Jacobs and sent me these pictures. It sure looks old, but have no idea what it might be and if it is worth restoring....

Thanks for any help with this one!

B3ED49A6-38AD-463C-9587-9BB1EFF87B98.jpeg

1D8BD79E-3363-43F2-A8DC-049E5C448E13.jpeg

ADE9E2AE-4306-4991-B9C8-0E65F42CAAC5.jpeg

FCE40679-9B97-40EE-9474-ACA75B00F827.jpeg

B9783DBC-F84D-42D2-84C4-0C95D011025A.jpeg

2C400B19-78FF-467F-8131-E7DDA9A658C7.jpeg

15CD2FCF-7981-4C0B-A066-D5733566B800.jpeg

8F2E6DD6-F9DF-47A3-AAB4-ADC7BA64FAF8.jpeg

221BA4F3-6E07-49DD-90DE-483CD39DDED6.jpeg

5E19837D-E70F-4CE4-BEDB-867BC9FB3157.jpeg

D99A0E42-BCD4-4B4B-AEB4-EC6E38B220EF.jpeg

E73972D0-EFA1-4082-801B-FC891CA5DB9A.jpeg

A1F90F4B-DD16-4A46-8D64-8D0E3A6E2BAB.jpeg

27EE5E5F-127F-45E9-85A8-504C5D722E2C.jpeg

4 hours ago, germain said:

inexpensive German fiddle. Proper restoration cost will surpass its value 20X

Seems unnecessarily dismissive. If you think "conservation" rather than "restoration" I'd say it's definitely worth something as an historical artifact, maybe even an instrument that's enjoyable to play on.

1 hour ago, matesic said:

Seems unnecessarily dismissive. If you think "conservation" rather than "restoration" I'd say it's definitely worth something as an historical artifact, maybe even an instrument that's enjoyable to play on.

Agreed.

One wonders what "proper restoration" constitutes on a fiddle like this, beyond getting it stable and playable.

I presume that it is an Austrian violin from the end of the 18th or beginning of the 19th C. either the varnish has been largely stripped or it has a replacement scroll. I think I would possibly restore it, but only if I got it for free

I like it, definitely worth conservation. 

I bought something similar recently which is in worse condition but repaired and playable. If nothing else its a nice bit of history. 

4 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I presume that it is an Austrian violin from the end of the 18th or beginning of the 19th C. either the varnish has been largely stripped or it has a replacement scroll. I think I would possibly restore it, but only if I got it for free

Thanks for the new pictures. I would like to revise my above opinion, in so far as it seems to be earlier 18th C, although I still think the scroll is a later replacement. The nearest thing I ever posted (although I don't think yours is a Kögl) was a Hans Kögl violin here: 

4 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Thanks for the new pictures. I would like to revise my above opinion, in so far as it seems to be earlier 18th C, although I still think the scroll is a later replacement. The nearest thing I ever posted (although I don't think yours is a Kögl) was a Hans Kögl violin here: 

Early 18th century Austrian? So would be worth restoring now?

31 minutes ago, classicalmusic said:

Early 18th century Austrian? So would be worth restoring now?

If you can find out what it is. Even then it has a later head and is pretty knackered

8 hours ago, martin swan said:

Agreed.

One wonders what "proper restoration" constitutes on a fiddle like this, beyond getting it stable and playable.

Oh I don't wonder at all... I know exactly what Hans Nebel (or any other New York restorer) would say if I brought that violin to him for restoration and set up

15 minutes ago, germain said:

Oh I don't wonder at all... I know exactly what Hans Nebel (or any other New York restorer) would say if I brought that violin to him for restoration and set up

Stating that the cost of restoration (at an upmarket New York restorer's) would be 20 times the value of the violin seems to me to deliberately misunderstand the OP's concerns. No-one in their right mind would carry out a full NY "restoration" at walk-in prices on this violin. 

Just get the minimum done, get it up and playing and enjoy it for what it is and try to avoid it getting any worse condition wise.