Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Sticky violin bow hair after cleaning with alcohol


Namila Nandi
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, sospiri said:

You could try addressing the issue. That was supposed to be my original point to the OP.

1.  It is very unlikely that was the issue.  I believe I addressed it.  However, if you insist:  ^_^

2.  If it were me, I'd try gentle scraping of the spot in question.  That would loosen the shellac on the hair, separate the hairs, and hopefully the shellac would flake off (and yes...shellac will flake off).  Then I would add rosin to that spot and head off to play my violin.  We all need more practice time!

3.  If that failed, if the entire length of hair was shellacked as solid as a 2x4 - I would

     a) berate myself for buying the bow in the first place

     b) get my bow rehaired - and forget about the entire sordid business...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Rue said:

1.  It is very unlikely that was the issue.  I believe I addressed it.  However, if you insist:  ^_^

2.  If it were me, I'd try gentle scraping of the spot in question.  That would loosen the shellac on the hair, separate the hairs, and hopefully the shellac would flake off (and yes...shellac will flake off).  Then I would add rosin to that spot and head off to play my violin.  We all need more practice time!

3.  If that failed, if the entire length of hair was shellacked as solid as a 2x4 - I would

     a) berate myself for buying the bow in the first place

     b) get my bow rehaired - and forget about the entire sordid business...

 

If the OP got shellac from the stick onto the hair from using the alcohol swabs then alcohol is what is needed to get it off again. That’s my point and that’s the way to solve the problem if that is what the sticky stuff is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The reason for using the alcohol pads rather than applying alcohol to a rag and using that is to avoid getting alcohol on the stick. The pads do not drip. (I've used hundreds of them.)

It also works well on the strings when dry cleaning with microfiber (or nylon scrubbies) no longer gets deeply enough into the string-winding grooves to remove rosin embedded there.

As I've said before, the alcohol should be IMMEDIATELY removed from the hair and strings with an absorbent clean cotton cloth after each swipe of a clean pad surface. And the cleaned surfaces must be allowed to dry completely before re-rosining or playing.

When that no longer works to get your equipment back where you want, it is then (for sure) time to rehair your bow or restring your fiddle.

Voice of experience!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I just noticed that mine shows when I'm not logged in, but doesn't when I am. Pretty neat trick Maestronet is playing on us. :D

I'm going to need to report that.

I just reported your post when logged out as a test. Perhaps it's to maintain a level of anonymity?  I would think it would be beneficial to Jefferey to know who logged the complaint, especially if there is a chronic complainer, or someone with a personal conflict.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Peter K-G said:

Alcohol disolves rosin and makes it sticky.

I ones cleaned bow hair with soap and water, bad idea. After that the bow behaved like it was nylon hair and rosin wouldn't attach to it anymore.

Alcohol removes the rosin if you do it right.  The soap might have been a soap for skin or hair, which is an emulsion that leaves an oil residue.  That's why I suggested Dawn liquid detergent (although I haven't tried it), which is clear and not an emulsion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, La Folia said:

Alcohol removes the rosin if you do it right.  The soap might have been a soap for skin or hair, which is an emulsion that leaves an oil residue.  That's why I suggested Dawn liquid detergent (although I haven't tried it), which is clear and not an emulsion.

Horse hair, when you buy it, doesn’t come directly from a horse, but is cleaned/processed first, not least because the horse shat on it all it’s life, so a “residue” is nothing to worry about, unless you think it sounds better with horse shit on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Horse hair, when you buy it, doesn’t come directly from a horse, but is cleaned/processed first, not least because the horse shat on it all it’s life, so a “residue” is nothing to worry about, unless you think it sounds better with horse shit on it.

Uh, Jacob, read it again.  This is about a residue possibly remaining after cleaning.  The problem Peter K-G reports is that rosin doesn't adhere any more after cleaning.  This is presumably not a problem that you observe with cleaned, new horse hair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, La Folia said:

Uh, Jacob, read it again.  This is about a residue possibly remaining after cleaning.  The problem Peter K-G reports is that rosin doesn't adhere any more after cleaning.  This is presumably not a problem that you observe with cleaned, new horse hair.

Yup. Hair shampoos and body soaps often contain oil-based "moisturizers", intended to remain after rinsing. And even pure soaps can combine with minerals in the water, to leave a hard-to-remove semi-grease-like residue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/23/2020 at 11:54 AM, David Burgess said:

I would certainly hope so, at the very least! ;)

Dang it, now I'm screwed. Darned Canadians, with their  world imperialism agenda. :D

I guess the moderators went easy on you this time, but let that be a warning!

Sigh; with this new found reporting power comes great responsibility in wielding it properly. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

I guess the moderators went easy on you this time, but let that be a warning!

Sigh; with this new found reporting power comes great responsibility in wielding it properly. :lol:

I still remember "your" jet-powered "farm truck". It inspired me for many years! :)

Gotta go now, need to report my neighbor for having too many dandelions in her front yard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...