Maestronet Forums

Sticky violin bow hair after cleaning with alcohol

Namila Nandi

23 minutes ago, La Folia said:

I wouldn't suggest that.  It's an emulsion (the tip-off is the word "cream"), and it contains a particulate (calcium carbonate) abrasive.  It's going to leave solid and organic (oily?) residues.  It's also perfumed.

thats the reason why you rinse it

Funny, all of a sudden, my Maestronet page has "cif" adverts to the right of the text, instead ot the usual ladies underwear

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Hmmm..  Maybe the IP address is just for me.  Try running the cursor around and over the share button and see what you get.

The IP address is just for you, but nowadays it's against GDPR, so you should not be able to see it. Maestronet web server is not GDPR compliant ;)

17 hours ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Sure, blame your dipshitery on someone else, why am I not surprised.  How about dealing with your own ignorance and address the problem of how cleaning bow hair doesn’t help worn bow hair?  Better blame it on the French, or your pappy....... take responsibility for yourself.

anyway this is the post I wanted to report which kind of started the nasty discourse

30 minutes ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Hmmm...  Others do get reports to me, so it must be there somewhere.  Maybe another member can help...

"Report" disappeared a while back.  The work-around is to quote the post into the reply window, select it all, use cut to put it on the clipboard, then paste it into a PM to you.  :)

6 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

"Report" disappeared a while back.  The work-around is to quote the post into the reply window, select it all, use cut to put it on the clipboard, then paste it into a PM to you.  :)

careful, because at the top right of your post, just to the left of the triangle sign to quote your post in the thread, it invites me to "Report post" whenever I get near it with the cursor, not that I would dream of reporting you of course

10 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

careful, because at the top right of your post, just to the left of the triangle sign to quote your post in the thread, it invites me to "Report post" whenever I get near it with the cursor, not that I would dream of reporting you of course

you must be priviledged because my quote is in the bottom left and its not a triangle!!

3 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

That may be browser specific, and not there for everyone.  Anyway, likewise, I'm sure.  I reserve my assistance calls to Jeffrey for rare incidents much more offensive and less entertaining than we just experienced.  popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif.4527f79f85bdfcb4c5f2aba3b79ed247.gif

12 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

'report post' is there on google chrome and derivatives  but missing on firefox.  it's visible on hover

One note about Chrome, it does some spyware things that pilfer your bandwidth (and system resources) and compromise your security, like taking a census of your software, and sending it to Google.  Those cute little extensions will run in the background after you close Chrome until you go strangle them with your system management tools.  And then, of course, there's Microsoft Sludge.  :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Rue said:

( ... )

So it's basically a citrate solution - which makes using it to clean bow hair much more sense now...

Getting closer to why this is used. Not being specific, but I use citrus-based cleaners around the shop.

There are many bows that are priced lower than a shop rehair in many school districts here in the states. Though some rehairs ( for friends and acquaintances ) are being completed, many kids do not know the status of their programs for the fall. I have spoken to some ensemble teachers. but the best to their knowledge, they will be distance teaching. 

2 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

'report post' is there on google chrome and derivatives  but missing on firefox.  it's visible on hover

I have it on google chrome, firefox,  microsoft edge, and windows explorer.

3 hours ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

I did, its not there, the report function, that is

Maybe you wore yours out? ;)

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

I have it on google chrome, firefox,  microsoft edge, and windows explorer.

i have lots of settings tweaked on firefox, which might have some effect on it.  i noticed it's there on my developer edition firefox which isn't tweaked.  interesting that it's missing for vd too.  wanted to mention the browsers i mentioned are derived from chromium, not chrome, and chrome is derived from it too.  The interfaces are all similar.  Opera browser is great for youtube

8 hours ago, Violadamore said:

One note about Chrome, it does some spyware things that pilfer your bandwidth (and system resources) and compromise your security, like taking a census of your software, and sending it to Google.  Those cute little extensions will run in the background after you close Chrome until you go strangle them with your system management tools.  And then, of course, there's Microsoft Sludge.  :rolleyes:

Firefox is independent of all the others (except for its derivatives), and it adds some privacy protections, I think by default.  It also allows you to report posts (just hover over the message) and to use alcohol on your bow.  ;)

i was using opera browser to watch wagner's ring uninterrupted on youtube, the boulez bayreuth version with great sets and staging, with heinz zednik super as both loge and mime.  just before gotterdammerung it got pulled down for copyright and i had to resort to the copenhagen version, the only other one i could find with english subtitles.  it doesn't have classical sets, it's set in the present with hagen as some kind of a drug lord.  it does have a great brunhilde though.  it was there for four years and got pulled hours before i was going to watch it.  felt like siegmund

3 hours ago, Bill Yacey said:

Interesting, it was there this morning, but it's disappeared now. I'm using Firefox 78.0.2 64 bit version.

I just noticed that mine shows when I'm not logged in, but doesn't when I am. Pretty neat trick Maestronet is playing on us. :D

6 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

gotterdammerung

I'm going to need to report that.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:11 AM, Rue said:

Yes. Do not clean your bow hair. Period. :rolleyes:

...but if you insist - use dish soap and lukewarm water.

Do not use alcohol (too controversial :ph34r: and may damage the finish on your bow)...

What if the OP’s bow has shellac on the hair from using those alcohol swabs?