Maestronet Forums

Sticky violin bow hair after cleaning with alcohol

Namila Nandi

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Rehairing a bow just because the hair got a bit dirty seems a bit stupid, but I can see why a bow rehairing outfit might tell you that, doesn't make it true, though.

Jerry has mentioned other reasons in addition to accumulation of contaminants, and I agree with him. And I don't do bow rehairs.

However, I must admit that I have never actually tried using toilet bowl cleaner; nor sandblasting the hair clean; nor taping the bow to the top of the car and driving through the car wash; nor putting the bow through the dishwasher. I'm just closed-minded, I guess. ;)

36 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

Rehairing a bow just because the hair got a bit dirty seems a bit stupid, but I can see why a bow rehairing outfit might tell you that, doesn't make it true, though.

Not understanding concepts do not make them stupid.  But of course you being anonymous betrays your intentions....

27 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Not if you have a mail order re-hairing kiosk, and your tongue is hanging out waiting for someone to give you $75

Jacob, it is okay to just not understand a concept. Blaming others for your lack of knowledge about a subject, and criticizing people that have the wherewithal to support themselves seems pretty small...

8 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Evidently understanding a “concept” is particularly reprehensible

Indeed it is Jacob, which is why you hear that so much.  These things are not new or different.  Spend more time learning, and less time trying to defend not learning, and you will be much better off..... Toilet cleaner man...you are defending using toilet cleaner on bow hair rather than rehairing....you are supposed to be a professional!  Have a little self respect.

34 minutes ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Indeed it is Jacob, which is why you hear that so much.  These things are not new or different.  Spend more time learning, and less time trying to defend not learning, and you will be much better off..... Toilet cleaner man...you are defending using toilet cleaner on bow hair rather than rehairing....you are supposed to be a professional!  Have a little self respect.

moron

32 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

I am not Anonymous, my name is Strad O. Various, My father's name was Strad O. Various Sr., but you can call me Strad. Who's anonymous is who rehairs your bow when you send it to a mail order rehair service.

Upon a quick search, no-one of that name came up.

Jerry and I post under our real names, both of which are easily searchable.

33 minutes ago, Strad O Various Jr. said:

I am not Anonymous, my name is Strad O. Various, My father's name was Strad O. Various Sr., but you can call me Strad. Who's anonymous is who rehairs your bow when you send it to a mail order rehair service.

Oh hardly.  I am all over all of our sites, and I do every rehair every time...as it states ON THE SITE!!  No wonder you want to be anonymous..:D

23 minutes ago, Mystic said:

I don't have a dog in this fight and I’m not a chemist.

Cif bathroom cleaning ingredients.https://www.unilever.co.uk/wiop/products/cif/cif-bathroom-spray.html

Thanks! I guess I didn't click long enough!

So it's basically a citrate solution - which makes using it to clean bow hair much more sense now...

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

I wouldn't suggest that.  It's an emulsion (the tip-off is the word "cream"), and it contains a particulate (calcium carbonate) abrasive.  It's going to leave solid and organic (oily?) residues.  It's also perfumed.

21 hours ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Water is a problem.  It can cause deformation of tips causing them to pop off or leaving them permanently deformed, and it can cause cheek cracks as blocks expand... Alcohol can can cause problems as well with finishes and coating the hair with liquid rosin.  The real issue here, is bows need to be rehaired for more reasons than the hair being dirty; in fact it is incredibly rare for that to be the primary reason. As the hair stretches with use, it stretches unevenly which can cause dramatic decreases in performance and even long term damage to sticks that are warped as a result.  Spend the money to have a rehair rather than risk long term damage with alcohol, or TOILET BOWL CLEANER......(seriously, a professional telling people to clean bow hair with toilet bowl cleaner?  What are you thinking?) you will be much better off, and you bow and your playing will benefit.

So don't get the stick or frog wet, and don't get alcohol on it.  Cleaning the hair is not difficult, and ordinary care suffices.  I've never had bowhair stretch on one side and warp the bow, but if I did, I would have it rehaired.  I have had it get dirty, and for that the remedy is cleaning.  Jacob Saunders suggests an aqueous cleaner, but I suggest alcohol.  It dries faster.  For what it's worth, I don't see a significant tendency to wick into unwanted places.  It just works.